How do you keep your do smelling fresh

We have a Bassett and he smells horrible after he has been outside for only a minute.

Asked by Member 709727 on Oct 7th 2008 Tagged smell in Grooming

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

You can buy doggie bath wipes that work great! Just wipe your pup down with one and he is smelling good again!

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 10/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I have always given my dogs a 'dry bath' in between their normal bathings. I purchase a shampoo that is kind of in a spray form, and you spray it on and brush. It keeps your dog smelling good and his coat healthy when you can't always give him a bath. Make sure that your dog only is getting wet baths every three to four weeks. Wipes work well, too - I don't like them as much because typically they leave the dog's coat wet, and the dog ends up licking himself, and now he smells again. Plus brushing your dog's coat often helps promote healthy circulation, and is how to keep his coat shiny and clean.

After I brush Deogie I use a natural citrus spray to keep him smelling fresh. When it rains, after I dry him off with a towel I rub him down with a bounce sheet, it takes that wet dog smell right away.

Mojo

I LOVE Bubbles n Beads Shampoo formerly known as Infuzion! The smell lasts for days and the microbeads really help you get through the fur to the skin. I bought my bottle at www.gwlittle.com

Mojo answered on 10/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sophie

I use a deodorizing pet spray that I spritz on my Schnauzers when they come back in. They too start smelling like a "dog" even if they were only outside long enough to potty. One of my favorites is Crazy Dog in Pina Colada, found at Petsmart & Petco. Even a week after their bath, they still smell fresh and clean!

Sophie answered on 10/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mississippi

Welcome to Dogster!

Diet has quite a bit to do with smell! Since I began feeding Miss a prey-model raw diet, her doggie odor has vanished. High-quality dog foods and home-prepared diets may reduce or even eliminate doggie odor as well. Check out the Dogster Food & Nutrition forum, Home Prepared Food, or the Raw Diet forum for any diet questions you have - most Dogsters are very nice and helpful!

Be careful not to bathe too frequently and make sure to rinse all the soap from your dog's fur to minimize drying out his skin. Hounds are notorious for odor, but with a good diet and good hygeine (monthly or bi-monthly bathing), he should be smelling nice and fresh!

Best of luck!

Mississippi answered on 10/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥~Lil Miss Mya~♥

We use a waterless spray shampoo, our Lil Miss Mya is a year and half and has only had 4 baths in her life. But she always looks clean and smells so good. I wish you all the luck, its a game of trial.

♥~Lil Miss Mya~♥ answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Princess

You know what I do, I would go outside in your yard and set up a camera. then see what he does while eh is outside. Then, you just fix teh problem.

Princess answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Meisha Marie

I am the owner of The Puppy Spa in our hometown. I suggest a bath for your bassett at least once a month. Be sure to purchase, at walmart, a bathing glove to get the shampoo throught the hair good. Use a coat conditioner (Nature's Specialties Silk n Finish is the best) that will dry on the coat, leave a fresh scent, and will supply moisture from the air back into your dogs coat. You can always apply a cologne, but make sure it is a conditioner as well. You don't want to get alcohol based smellemgoods, because it will dry your dog's coat and skin, causing skin irritation. Wipes are good for a very quick and short fix. Look for John Paul (of Paul Mitchell) for your wipe needs. They have eye wipes, paw wipes and of course, don't forget that your dogs ears can cause an oder, and they also have wipes for the ears. Your dog is just going to love all the wiping that we are recommending, lol. He will love the special attention, I promise. Good luck.

Sheila, Mommy of Meisha Marie

Meisha Marie answered on 10/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Minna

Pantene!

Minna answered on 10/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer