how do you keep two female dogs from fighting. dominance seems to be the trigger

My dog is a pointer and my daughters dog is a pit mix. They are very good with people and kids. Something is triggering them to violently fight. The pointer usually starts the fight but the pit cause the most damage. Just me coming home from work can trigger a fight. It seem to be over dominance. How can I stop this before something bad happens

Asked by Member 926838 on Dec 3rd 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Your pointer will be on the losing end. All your girl wants to do is be number one with you, the other dog doesn't want to let her. I'll bet you had your dog first. I'll bet that pit interferes with the pointer's greeting you upon arriving home. That in dogdom is a fighting offence. I know what I'd do, not a popular idea I'm sure, I'd rehome that pit mix to a home without other dogs. If you don't want to rehome the pit, find a good home for that pointer. Someday you may come home to a bloody mess. DO NOT leave them alone together, ever. Your dog has a RIGHT to be the one to greet you first, the other dog is breaking the rules as far as your girl is concerned, and she IS provoking your dog to respond.

I don't think this is over dominance as much as it sounds like it's over territory, both you and the house.

It is tough sometimes to integrate two dogs into one home, even if it is part time. Sometimes, it works brilliantly and other times it's difficult, if not impossible.

I think you have a chance to work this out but you're going to need some professional help. We can give you advice in general on Answers, but there is really nothing close to helpful like someone who can see the dogs in person and see how they interact with you and with each other.

It's important to stop the fighting before someone gets hurt (dog or human) and in order to do that, you need a professional. Finding a trainer or good behaviorist can be difficult. Check with the local animal shelter; that's a tight knit crew and they usually know local trainers well. Beware of anyone who uses outdated techniques or claims "alpha" over the phone. That's going to make things worse.

Good luck with these two.

It could be many things. I am not biased againist particular breeds.
I think you need to find out what is triggering the fight. Are both dogs spayed? you must spay them. Lots of females fight, it is not a breed specific thing.
Try to keep them seperated during the times you can not watch them. If it is food, then feed them seperately, place the bowls up, if it is toys let them play with one toy each and keep them seperated, the more you supervise and let the dogs know it is not allowed the chances of you being successful more is in your favor.
If they are not getting enough attention seperately, walk them seperately. Play with them seperately, cause sometimes they fight over attention. Make every possible thing in your house positive. They sit for treats, they sit to be petted, be patient, kind and loving and amazing things can happen.
I would exercise them seperately get them both out of the house. Maybe the dogs pick on each other when you are gone, place them in crates ect.

B.J., CGC

Female dogs fight... usually over territory. IMO your coming home is causing them to have to defend that which they think is theirs alone. Until you get an appointment with a good behaviorist, do not allow them to be alone together! As long as they are kept apart when alone you should be okay until you can work this out with a behaviorist..not a trainer but a person specializing in this type of issue. That person will observe the dogs and provide you with the best information. But, it is important to prevent fighting until then so that it does not lead to continued aggression and hatred of each other.

B.J., CGC answered on 12/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer