Reo

How do you glue a sheltie's ears?

We recently got a male sheltie and were looking for suggestions on what to do wth his ears. They are currently folded ( not pricked at about 8 weeks) but I heard that the could prick up soon. Thanks for your suggestions.

Asked by Reo on Aug 30th 2008 Tagged ears, shelties, glue, puppy in Other Grooming

Answers

Your puppies' breeder should be able to give you advice.

I noticed that on your puppie's page, your puppy isn't quite 8 weeks old yet. No good breeder would have let you take the puppy this young. The minimum age for a puppy to leave it's mother is 8 weeks (because the mother has to teach it some things, including bite inhibition) and it's against the law in most states to take them a puppy from it's mother any younger than 8 weeks.

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012*

Contact the breeder and ask them about it. Some dogs ears take longer to stang up than others.

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012* answered on 8/30/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Your puppy is only 8 weeks old - there's zero need to glue the ears at this age.

Puppy's ears stand up at different ages. Some pups have standing ears as young as 5 weeks while other pups' ears don't consistently remain up until they are done teething, around 5 to 6 months of age.

Even if your pup's ears are standing up now, the will likely experience periods of going up and down during the teething period, too.

I would expect ears to start coming up between now and about 4 months of age. You should see one go up, then the other. Maybe two at the same time. They go through various stages.

If the ears are not up by 6 or 7 months, then you can talk to your breeder about taping them to keep them up while the cartilage hardens. The easiest way of "taping" is to use breathe right (anti-snoring) strips and sticking them to the inside of the dog's ear. They're just strong enough to hold the ears up and stick well.

Chewbacca (Bacca)

I won't get into the discussion about whether or not you adopted your pet too young!

There are two steps to tipping a Sheltie's ear properly. 1) to get the proper tip, and 2) to get the proper spacing between the ears.

Most breeders start gluing the ears from 8 weeks to as much as 1 year. Teething puppies can throw ears totally out of whack. Glue and take out every few weeks. Then leave alone to see the set - if necessary glue again.

You can train a pups ears to tip but if you are not careful, you will end up with hound-ears. This requires bracing between the ears to keep the base cartilage upright.

Most breeders use a fabric glue which is non-irritating, such as Speed Sew. It can be removed with an adhesive remover, such as Detachol (for removing bandages)

Here is a website to visit for detailed instructions:

www.vistadeishelties.com

Chewbacca (Bacca) answered on 10/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Addison Lynn

OH my gosh. How could you tell them that Reo doesn't look like a Sheltie? Are you kidding me? Its called a Tri colored....not all of them are sable & white. Reo looks full blooded to me, and I see a ton of them, considering where I work. I am not trying to sound rude, but gesh! And different breeders have different standards, and yes, they shouldn't be adopted out til 8 weeks, but some do adopt out earlier. I just adopted one from an unplanned breeding, the lady wasn't a breeder, so she did not know better, and either I was going to adopt Addy or someone else was, so I took her, at yes..... 6 weeks. (gasp!)

It is best to train the ears EARLY. The earlier the better. You have got to start before they break their adult teeth, as when the adult teeth come in the ears are usually set. This isn't just for show, this is also done for healthy ears that can breath well. You can either glue them now, and train them, or do nothing and cross your fingers hoping that they will naturally tip.

Addison Lynn answered on 12/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Some of the answers seem to be towards having the Shelties ears STAND ERECT. This is opposite to the breed standard as the ears should be folded and the question as to how to glue was for how to get them to stay folded and NOT erect.