Teddy

How do you get your Maltese puppy to "potty" outside when it's cold or rainy out?

My Maltese will only potty outside if the weather is perfect (i.e. sunny, blue skies, 70+ degrees). He literally freaks out if it is rainy or cold or if the pee pad that he is using outside is cold or wet or otherwise uncomfortable in any way. Living in New England, the weather is often not perfect and cold and rainy days are common. Any advice on having him "potty" outside in non-perfect conditions?

Asked by Teddy on Sep 17th 2013 Tagged newengland, housebreaking, housetraining, potty, cold, rainy, rain, wet, peepad in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Go with him while he is still young for encouragement. A thundershirt might help to relieve his anxiety. After the desired behavior is completed, give him a treat like part of a small wet food puppy tray, I'm thinking of Ultra puppy or Natural Choice puppy because the trays are convenient and the the lids fold over so that you can put the remainder in the frige. ^_^

Pick him up and carry him out to do his business. It is MUCH preferred to get him used to it while he is still young so it doesn't become a battle of wills when he is older.
I also live in New England, I have toy poodles and they LOVE being outside, playing in the snow and in the mud puddles because they start young. I start by taking them outside when they are 6 to 8 week old babies. If they don't do what we are out there for, they go into their crate and I try again later. If they go, depending on their age they are allowed a half hour (or more for older pups) free time loose in the house. Pretty quickly they will learn that going outside is the way to go and by not allowing them house freedom until they have gone (outside), I don't have to keep following them thru the house and cleaning up puddles and/or piles.
Definitely give lots of praise when they DO go outside but be very careful with the treat or you will have a dog running outside and wetting just for a treat!!!

I would suggest getting your dog an indoor litter box so that so that your dog would have ease in eliminating. It also removes your burden of going outside when the weather is bad.