Maggie

How do you get over the loss of your dog?

I had to put down my 14 year old labrador retriever mix, Maggie, yesterday. My family and I are so heartbroken. The house isn't the same without her and the other dogs (especially Captain, they've been friends forever) are starting to notice. I cried all day yesterday and a little today. Please give me some advice if you have any. I'm on the verge of tears typing this.

Asked by Maggie on Nov 29th 2011 Tagged death, loss, maggie, labradorretriever, mix, sadness in Loss of a Pet

Answers

I cry my eyes out many days. It makes me feel so sad for a long time. Then I go through stages where I look at my photo albums and cry some more. But, then I remember all the fun times I have with my doggies.... the memories are most important thing to cling to..... hugs for you Maggie and owner..... It's ok to cwy. :(
I usually buy a keepsake box and I put collars and such in it. I tuck photos in it too... or in the spring I'll plant a flower in memory of...hugs

Eva

I am so sorry for your loss. It can hurt us so much when we lose our best friends, the first face we see in the morning and when we walk through the door, our buddy who is always there to cuddle with us. Grieve for poor Maggie and remember all of the wonderful times you had together before she became so sick. And some of the things that she did that you loved most. When my last dog died it took me a long time to recover but eventually I was ready to open my heart again. We still have a corner of our house devoted to our first dog a mirage of pictures insures that she is never forgotten. And that no matter what we will always love her.

Eva answered on 11/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Allow yourself to grieve for as long as you need. There's nothing anyone can do to make it all better, but time heals all wounds.
Maybe you'd like to make a memorial for her. Knowing there are people who care also helps.

"Death leaves heartache no one can heal. Love leaves memories no one can steal."