How do you get a previously housebroken dog to stop pooping in the house?

My parents recently came for a 5 day visit. Prior to the visit my dog never pooped in the house. Since they stayed with us my dog has been pooping in the house in the middle of the night in the kitchen where she has always been sleeping. She is taken on 3 walks a day, the last one between 8-9 at night. Her first walk is at 6am in the morning. I don't know what to do to get her back to her normal routine. Please help a desperate doggy mama!

Asked by Member 1015976 on Dec 17th 2010 Tagged previouslypottytraineddog, poopinginthehouse in House Soiling

Answers

Want her to be housebroken right?..well heres a website that can help ya step by step!

www.ehow.com

goodluck!!

I would strongly suggest you go back to using a crate to confine her in at night and help get her back on schedule. An alternative to using the crate may be to close her into your bedroom with you or even leash her to your bed. Dogs are creatures of habit and somehow, someway, she has learned that this is the way to do it now. It shouldn't take to long to "reschedule" her... probably a couple of weeks at the most.
It is amazing to me how what seems like a minor change in routine to us can make such a dramatic change in our pets but it happens all the time.
Good luck and maybe crate her at night the next time your parents stay with you!

Wendy

I agree with Clyde. You might also try not giving her anything to eat or drink after 6-7pm and let her out before you go to bed and see if that might work.

Wendy answered on 12/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer