How do you desensitize a puppy to a brush? My pup is terrified of the furminator brush that we go for him. How can I he

Asked by Member 1013741 on Mar 25th 2011 Tagged kenij, brush in Grooming

Answers

Halo

Just put the brush down and let the puppy explore and play with it in his own time. Then reward him for even sniffing it, reward more for picking it up, and more for allowing you to touch him with it. make it a way to get treats or affection.

Halo answered on 3/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zoey

My German Shepherd who is now a little over a year hated the furminator when she was little. She will now let me brush her with it without problem, and actually likes it. My German Shepherd puppy who is 6 months old hates the furminator now. My 8 year old mutt never did have a problem. I think that the furminator pulls their "baby" hair and it hurts. Once my GSD started getting her adult hair and it was thicker she had no problems with brushing. I got a couple of other brushes to use on them while they were younger which don't work as good but they do ok until you can use the furminator and it gets them in good brushing practice. You can try the mitts so it is more like petting than brushing although I don't think they work great.

Zoey answered on 3/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kenij probably needs a gentler brush to get used to the idea of grooming before you switch to a furminator. I would try to make brushing time an awful lot like petting time with lots of praise and rewards so that he gets used to that kind of stimulus being a GOOD thing, rather than a painful or scary time of his day.

Food, yum yum... I use real meats.
I can also trim all my dogs easily. I just tap the clippers on the floor and they lay down.
Better the food the better the results. :) do it when you know they'll be hungry too :)

The furminator is a bit harsh. I would start with a soft brush to get them used to it first