how do i treat my dog for excessive eye boogers?

my dog bear has had excessive eye boogers for the past year and i cant cure it. i will wipe away the boogers but then they just come back. if i dont wipe them away the boogers get crusty and cover his eye.

Asked by Member 902035 on Oct 17th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

They can be caused by the food you are feeding. Maybe you could try changing the food to see if that helps. but it is best to keep them wiped out if you can.

You might want to take the dog to the vet if the eye is crusting over.
This could be a sign that the dog has come in contact with something causing inner eye lid infection.
My dogs sometimes get black ones as part of my yard is dirty and they rough house in the dirt.
But, really the vet has some special magnifying lenses to see inside the eye, there are instruments they use to detect cataracts also.
Or maybe they can give you a special eye wash to take home.
I would say the vet is really going to be your best option.
I hope it is nothing, but I would check it out to be sure.

Katie

Hi Bear!

I have this problem sometimes, too, maybe because I love to ride in my mom's convertible with the top down, dig holes in the back yard with my puppy buddy, Rupert, and play in the bushes. Lots of opportunities to get dust and pollen in my eyes! My eyes get "boogers" just like you, and they can get crusty, too, especially overnight.

It's important for you to get checked by the vet, because your eyes could be infected. If the infection goes on too long, it could cause more serious problems. The good news is, if it's like my eye problems, it goes away within a few days, with two drops of medicine in each eye, each morning and evening.

Of course, if you're like me, you will put up a bit of a fuss and not be too meek about accepting drops in your eyes! BOL! But believe me, it's worth it because your eyes will get better and nobody will have to wipe them all the time!

Ask your humans to take you to the vet right away and see if that medicine will help you, too! Woof!

Katie answered on 10/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Allergies in your canine:
sounds like Environmental allergies-
see here - hope this helps:
en.allexperts.com