how do i train my 1 year old male pit bull not to go crazy at company at my door or gate? hes only like this at home

Asked by Member 907144 on Nov 4th 2009 Tagged aggresivenatureathometowardscompanyatthedoor in Aggression

Answers

Jet

Well, ask a very patient friend to come by and ring the doorbell. Get some treats for your dog and tell him to sit and stay anywhere you want him to. If your dog doesn't know stay, do not get onto him for not staying, If he doesn't know, just teach him. If he knows stay and breaks the stay, just say aah aah and close the door and try again. Keep doing this and only let your dog get out of the sit/stay position when he's calm and when you've said okay.

Lots of Licks,

Jet

Jet answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It is going to require lots of training.

I suggest using a mat. That mat is placed away from the door.
Then you first only teach the dog to find the mat and down on the mat , use diced chicken breasts to reward the down. Then in another few days teach the stay after the down. use chicken.
Praise after the chicken as well.
Then after a few days of a successful down use people to reinact the coming to the door knocking/or doorbell which ever is customary.
Then that is when the fun begins as you are adding the distraction.
So, I strongly advise to get your find mat, down, and then stay solid.
Because if that is solid the distraction will be not so bad, if the dog breaks the down on mat, the person must go back out til you get the dog calmed and down. Then just repeat maybe 2 more times, and repeat each step. Then end it on a good note.
Over many weeks this can be done with great success, copy this off so you can follow the steps.