how do i teach soft mouth to my dog

when i give my dog food my hand, she will bite my hand, i need to teach her soft mouth

Asked by Member 1116171 on Jun 17th 2012 in Chewing

Answers

Chase

Try putting peanut butter on a spoon. She's not going to want to bite a metal spoon.
Make a fist with food inside it, and she'll figure out pretty soon that she doesn't get any until she's nice.

Chase answered on 6/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Here's a video with an explanation in the description: www.youtube.com
It's pretty easy to teach, just be patient and give him time to catch on.

I've trained several dogs, young and old, how to do this. You basically work on getting them to sit for the treat, don't just give it to them. Once they sit, move the treat toward them, but when they go for it, pull it away and say, "no... be nice" in a very calm sounding voice, then try again.

Anytime they try grabbing the treat from you, pull away, until they calmly sit and watch your eyes for permission to take it. You want them to focus on YOU, not the treat. Once they're focused on you, and are looking to you for permission, give them the treat.

It may take doing this every time for a couple of weeks or so, but your pup will get it figured out pretty quickly. That's when you use the training treats to teach them more! :)

Cheers,

Derek - www.PetLeader.com