Mojo

How do I teach my housebroken dog to use pee pads when I'm at work, so he doesn't have to wait so long?

Asked by Mojo on Oct 2nd 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

Teaching a house broken dog to use pee pads will only confuse him. You should use either or and not both. A mature dog (which Mojo is)can hold his bladder for up to 8 hours and sometimes more. Other suggestions would be to come home if possible during lunch or sometime during the day to let him out, or have a neighbor do it or consider Doggie Day Care.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I do not ever recommend potty pads, not even for puppies. Your dog would probably figure it out on his own, but eventually, the rug, a towel, or anything else on the floor, could become a potty pad for your dog, and you end up punishing him for something that you encouraged, and it only confuses him. It is best to crate him if you are worried about him going to the bathroom in your home. He will sleep in there all day, and you won't have to worry about him peeing all over your house. If you don't have a crate, or don't want to purchase one, you can keep him in one part of the home where you know he can't soil anything, or get into anything. I always crate my dogs when I am gone. Eventually they get to stay out, but especially when they are puppies or young dogs - sometimes they just can't help themselves. Please let me know if you want to learn how to crate your dog - I'd be glad to help.