Dixie

how do i teach my dog to shake a paw?

i tried to teach my puppy to shake a paw but she thinks its a game. She trys to nip and play with my hand, i know plenty of you will say 'she's just a puppy'. I've heard that the best time to teach them tricks is between 7-10 weeks.
Is it also possible to teach my full grown saint bernard to shake a paw?

Asked by Dixie on Jul 24th 2009 Tagged trainteachpuppydogtoshakepaw in Behavior & Training

Answers

Lexie

Just keep working on it when she is siting take her and shake and tell her good girl just keep doing it over and over for a few min two or three times a day. My dog lexie was a 8 weeks old when she lerned to shake a paw and play dead sit down it did not take long for her to learn. your saint bernard can to. Do it the same way it might take a littel longer but she/he should learn to.

Lexie answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Midnight: 1995-2009

Put the treat in your hand and close your hand. Put your hand on the floor (with the treat covered) and let your puppy and St. Bernard sniff. When they touch their paw to you hand, say paw and give them the treat. This is how I taught Izzie and Charley to shake. Oh, gradually take your hand off the ground so they know the paw is suppose to come off the ground.

Midnight: 1995-2009 answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ava

I taught Ava to "shake" (or as we call it "high-five") by lifting her paw gently over her head while saying the command, then giving her a treat. It only took her a couple tries to start giving paw without me having to lift it for her. It may take a little longer for your puppy to get it, or it might not. It really depends on your pup's interest. :3

I find it best to work on training when they're tired, such as right after a walk or after they've got the play out of their system. Also, I think it's less confusing for the puppy if you teach them to use only one paw. For example, Ava only gets a treat when she "high fives" with her left paw. Good luck!

Ava answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Katie

Hi Dixie!

First of all, it is NEVER too late to teach tricks; in fact, my trainer recommends continuous learning to keep a dog mentally active and engaged in life. Your St. Bernard can certainly learn whatever tricks you take the time to teach!

When Katie was a puppy, she was very nippy, and she also pawed us a lot, so I didn't want to encourage that by teaching "shake." My son taught her, though!

Rather than closing your hand over her paw, which will let her put her mouth on your hand, try teaching her to place her paw on your palm. Reward, then drop the paw before she can nip.

If she nips, say "ah, ah" and leave her for a couple of minutes. She will learn that nipping means social isolation, and will stop mouthing you. You can also try offering a toy instead of your hand. Teach her other commands, so you can give her an alternative to nipping.

See www.k9techsupport.com for instructions on training lots of fun behaviors and tricks!

Katie answered on 7/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Nala

Here's how to teach your puppy:
First, command her to "sit". Then, you hold the puppy's hand and repeat "paw". Give her a treat and praise. She will try to nip you, but ignore it. After repeating this a few times, bring her somewhere else, and tell her to sit. Say paw, and hopefully she will understand. If not, repeat the previous steps.
About your saint bernard:
Of course, you can always teach old dog new tricks. Follow the steps I typed above, and it should be easier - he's full grown so he wont nip.

Good Luck to you and your dogs!

Nala answered on 4/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer