Ella

How do I teach my 3 month old puppy "shake"?

Ella knows "Sit" and "Lay Down", although Lay Down still has to be accompanied by the hand movement. I know that we start with "Sit" to teach her to shake paw, but I'm lost as to how to proceed. What are some of your successful techniques for teaching this? I tried looking it up on Google, but they only provided videos.

Asked by Ella on Sep 19th 2012 in Commands

Answers

I have taught two dogs to "shake" by first getting them to sit (as you know) and then picking up their paw, immediately offering a small yummy treat, then release paw. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Eventually both started offering the paw on their own, which is when I added the command "Shake!" You can refine it from there.

Ellie

My puppy is 3 months old and has recently learned to shake. All I did was tell her to sit and then showed her a treat and said shake while taking her paw and shaking it. I did this a couple times a day for a couple weeks and eventually she just caught on and now when I say shake she puts her paw out.

Ellie answered on 9/21/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lucy

First, get her to sit. Then, get a treat put it up to her nose then bring it up away from her nose. Once her paws go up a little bit grab it and say shake and give treat.

Lucy answered on 2/16/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer