Bo

how do i teach Bo not to jump on me and others?

not that i don't enjoy seeing him in the afternoon as much as he does; it's just that he's so big...

Asked by Bo on Feb 10th 2010 Tagged jumping in Jumping Up

Answers

I would take him to training classes. Try the local SPCA or Humane Society.

Hector

I totally get where you are coming from. I have a 120+lb Ridgeback mix that use to do that.

He actually just kind of grew out of it. Of course I always did the "down" command, but he would forget it the next time I came in the door.

He is nearly 9 years old now, it took him about a year and a half before he completely quit, but he showed improvement at about a year.

He now only gets that excited when I say "lets go bye bye" He doesn't jump on me but he jumps and runs into me. Believe me, it hurts when a 120 dog lands on your toe when you are wearing sandals.

Obedience training is the quickest way, but to be honest with you, I kind of miss his jumping a little.

Hector answered on 2/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Just try leaving a leash on him if he tries to jump up step on the leash he will correct himself when he is stop as you stand on it.
Just use a flat collar. As soon as he hesistates wondering why he could Praise him for it.
Then if he does it again step on the leash any improvement praise such as giving up and walking away, praise

One method is to hold his paws firmly until he is anxious to get down--and slightly beyond that. Just enough to make him think twice about doing it again. Not to hurt or discipline, but to get him to make the decision not to put himself in that uncomfortable situation.