Violet

How do I stop my puppy toileting inside in bad weather?

My (nearly) 5 month old GSP/GWP x Mastiff mix is pretty much toilet trained, but when it's raining and I put her outside she just sits at the door. Even if I go out and stand in the yard she won't put a paw off the back step. When I let her back in the house she runs off and goes to the toilet inside (this morning on my mother's bed whilst she was still in it...) does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to go outside to toilet regardless of a bit of rain?

Asked by Violet on Jul 31st 2010 in Housebreaking

Answers

If she is not liking the rain she will have to get use to it. Do you bathe her often? that might help her with the water thing. I would treat her in the tub.
I would treat her in the rain.
If it is raining, I would take her for a walk in it.
Sounds like just a fear of hers. I work at the concept it is ok to her feet wet.
I use kiddie pools, which are the plastic child pools. They are great for teaching pups water is fun, I throw toys in them for them to dig out.
You can also toss food tid bits in the grass and let her find them.

Hector

You'll need to reinforce the NO command for indoor potty. Not many dogs like to go out when it is raining, and will opt to hold it. When your dog is a bit older and is able to hold her bladder, this problem will likely subside. If she knows she'll get in trouble for peeing inside, she will either go out with you to pee, or she will learn to hold it till the rain quits.

Take your dog for walk's on rainy days, to get her use to it. She will learn that the rain isn't going to hurt her. Once she knows this, it'll be easier to reinforce the no potty inside rule. She'll hold it as long as she can, but she won't be fearful to go out and get it over with. Once she has done it a few times then you'll have no problems with it.

Don't be afraid to get wet yourself. Teach her it's okay to get wet by playing and walking with her in light rain. She may learn to love it.

My dogs love to be towel dried afterwords, so it's a game with us to see who makes it to the towel first.

Hector answered on 8/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree - if you won't go out and get wet, why should the puppy?
I always put on a raincoat or get the umbrella and take my dogs out. Especially Snickers, he HATES getting wet. He won't go out if the grass is wet - goofy dog!
This may be the way it is until the pup is well over a year.