How do I stop my puppy from peeing in the house every evening?

Jasper is 4 mo. and we are crate training him. He does well during the day (w/o accidents), but at night -every night- he manages to pee somewhere. We watch him like a hawk, but he doesn't stop midpee if we clap or pick him up. He gives absolutely no warnings. He doesn't go off sniffing or make circles, or even stop what he's doing really. Today he was sitting on his mat playing with his chew toy, stood up and peed immediately. He had JUST been taken out not more than 5 minutes before. He had already peed twice before that within the hour outside. He's peed in his crate (correctly sized) twice in a week despite being taken out in the middle of the night to pee. Sometimes he will be walking toward his crate (so it is not unusual) and pee in front of it. We praise him a lot when he goes in the right place outside and don't yell when he fails. We use the oder removing spray but he finds a new place each night. We've reduced his water intake. What can we do? Why is night different?

Asked by Member 1006588 on Oct 10th 2010 in Housebreaking

Answers

HOw about when he starts to sniff on ythe floor pick him up and put him in the puppy crate if you have one and with a puppy pad inside.. Give him a treat or a par on the back sayin GOOD BOY/GIRL!.. and let him out.. and then do the same over and over again until he relizes thats his place to pee.. And when he doesnt pee in the crate then Give him a pat! on the butt and tell him NO gentle and put him in his crate and shut the dooor..Hope I helped..Love Michaela And DAGGER!!

Winston

Create a specific schedule for taking your dog outside to go to the bathroom. Hopefully your dog will get used to the schedule and it will become natural! I am sorry if my advice does not help. (That would make me sad!!)

Winston answered on 10/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sonny

Is he Beagle, by any chance? Sonny was hard to house break, but I chalked it up to late training.

It sounds like you have most of the formula right. Some dogs just need a little extra incentive and help to communicate. When he's not crated, tether him to a waist, so he can't sneak off to pee indoors.

A set of bells for the door will give him the opportunity to ask to go out to toilet.
www.ehow.com

When he does toilet outside, make a big deal about it, reward with a series of treats for 20-30 seconds. Use an extra special treat for potty training only.

Make a distinction between toilet trips and play-time.
Some dogs are just 'piddly'. Pepper had accidents and excited pee goofs past her first birthday. Patience and management for now, He's get it!

Sonny answered on 10/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

*Tommy*

I learned this while watching Victoria Stilwell i know not everybody likes her or the dog whisperer but ive learned alot by watching thier show and when the dog starts to pee pick him up right below the armpits and take him outside it will imediantly stop him from peeing so when you put him down he will pee and while he is peeing outside praise him so he knows not to go inside the house and when he is peeing he only gets the best amount of praise while is peeing outside i really hope this helps and i wish you the best of luckwith you pooch

*Tommy* answered on 10/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Have you tried taking him to the vet? Where did you get him from? If he was from a mill or backyard breeder he could have inherited some defects in his body that may induce incontinence or muscle weakness. I suggest make an appointment with the vet, and until then, doggie diapers.

Zoe

A lot depends on the type of puppy Jasper is. Smaller breeds are sometimes harder to potty train than others. I have a miniature pinscher that is 3 years old & still have problems with her going in her crate. Part of that is probably due to her over 24 hour flight when I received her as a puppy. She doesn't seem to have accidents in the house now but still in her crate. I limit her water overnight & try to take her out at least every two hours (you might want to take Jasper out every hour since he is a puppy & just learning). Lots of praise & a small treat when Jasper does his duty outside. If you catch him inside, pick him up immediately & take him outside. If he finishes his business outside, treat him. If not, then go back inside without treating. You sound like you are doing the right things. Just continue to have lots of patience with him. Remember, he is just a baby & he has to learn where he needs to go!!!

Zoe answered on 3/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kiva

Crate training is vastly over rated. It is one of those training fads that come and go. I started with a crate for my new puppy and after a week got rid of it. Yes there were piddles on the floor but learning her schedule and going out side with her frequently, 2:30 in the morning anyone?, helped a lot as did having her sleep on my bed so I would wake up if she got restless, and she never peed on the bed. By 4 months she was pretty much house trained but still had the occasional relapse often as described in the question where she would just suddenly go. The main thing I found that worked wonders is the one thing everyone says you should not do - yell. If I caught her in the act a loud no and maybe a foot stomp to startle her would stop the act, then we would go outside. A couple of times of this and now at 5 months no more peeing in the house.

Kiva answered on 5/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I adopted a small dog that was left outside all day -- so he really didn't learn that he needed to wait. First, I decided that I would just create a space with potty-pads. Start with four out -- and you can eventually get down to one a day. Yes, he goes outside 3 out of 4 times a day. If I caught him peeing off the pads inside -- I use the trusted spray bottle of water and No! No! No! -- then I pick him up and place him on the potty pad and sit next to it saying "Good Potty! Good Potty!" in my soothing voice. I live in Arizona and really can't walk him 4 times a day in the summer (too hot on his paws!) -- so he needed to learn proper pee-pad behavior!

McLovin'

I've had several dogs that have done this; either my own or foster dogs. I find sometimes a dog will actually pee to get attention and sometimes in cases where a dog does that a negative reaction to their behavior will stop it. I'd recommend consulting a vet (over the phone to save on a bill) and giving it some cranberry juice (ask a vet for amount) in case of urinary tract infection. Keep the dog tethered to you inside the house and start taking your puppy out every 1-2hrs during evenings. If the dog pees on the carpet after they've been outside very sternly scold them. I find that this helps in cases of "Attention peeing" if they know they will be punished for peeing inside. Also, make sure that potty time is for potty alone and your pup doesn’t get distracted by play. I use a command word to get my dogs to do their business and they’ve learned that when I say that word I don’t want to play around.
I hope things work out for you. I know how frustrating it can be.

McLovin' answered on 7/13/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lola

My pup is 6 mos & she went through this period also. I have a spray bottle of white vinegar and use it all over the house. The vinegar smell dissipates quickly, but the puppy seems to be repelled by it and it stopped her random house pees.

Lola answered on 3/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer