Darwin, CGC

How do I stop my puppy from humping other dogs?

My 18 week old puppy has a tendency to hump my mother's dogs and my mother in law's dog. I haven't taken him to a dog park yet because of his age but I don't want him to hump dogs at the dog park because I don't want it to cause fights.

What are some ways to get him to stop his dominance humping?

Asked by Darwin, CGC on May 12th 2010 Tagged humping, puppy, dogpark in Exercise & Play

Answers

Humping is part of normal play and development for puppies... it has nothing to do with dominance nor is it sexual. In almost all cases, the puppy will stop doing it when he stops getting a reaction from either the owner or from the dog being humped. If it seems excessive and the other dog is allowing it, I would try distracting him with a favorite toy or asking for a specific task such as a sit for a treat. It's impossible to hump if he's sitting. Otherwise, this too shall pass.

McLovin'

Humping in most cases is indeed dominance. Even puppies want to sort out who the leader is. Keep your puppy on a leash with a training collar and give them a correction whenever they humping when they realize they are punished for the behavior they'll stop. I've dealt with many dogs who display this sort of dominate behavior, even dogs that have been spayed or neutered and even females. Leash disciplining is the best method I've used. I wouldn't recommend your dog being off leash in a dog park until they're older since there are a lot of aggressive and badly behaved dogs at the park and often young dogs will pick up on those behaviors. You should wait till they are a year before taking your dog.

McLovin' answered on 1/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Maxwell ( Max)

Our vet says it's normal behaviour and to distract him is the best answer , not to encourage nor yell neither. Yelling resolves none of this issue. My pup is now 16 months old and will be fixed when he gains another 3 lbs. Or is as close to being 6 month or older as possible. My other dogs were done at 4 months but I have learned to give them more growing time is not advised. Unless you have show dogs. It is not that unhealthy to have them fixed on fact it makes less chance of some of the other dowses like testy cancer and such.

Maxwell ( Max) answered on 4/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Well... first you need to figure out why your dog is doing what there doing.
It's a pack leader thing ( i saw it on At the end of my leach,he's a professional trainer)
It's kind of like dominance but in a different light. Be the alpha.

If your dogs not spayed or neutered, this could be a factor.

Bubbles

I take my two dogs to the dog park 10-14 times a week -- and humping can be a BIG problem. Rather it is dominance or just play -- humping is a TWO dog action -- the humper and the humpee! Whether you might think this will pass or it is normal play, the OTHER dog and/or owner may not believe this and this can leads to fights and arguments. There are TWO very effective methods to curb this enthusiasm: 1) Pick up a small water squirt bottle from the dollar store and carry with you. Squirt your dog (or if your the humpee, the other dog) with a firm "no!" -- soon, they will stop just when seeing the bottle come out. 2) There's a new product called "pet corrector." It's just a can of compressed air, like the stuff you use to clean your computer keyboard, but I assume with a safer compellant. It's easier and doesn't leak in your bag. However, I've found some dogs love water or the compressed air -- but it will at least distract the dog from the humping process.

Bubbles answered on 8/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Grace

Number one step to stop the humping is to prevent it from occurring in the first place. If the behavior has occurred more than once, it is in danger of becoming a habit, and not a desirable one!

Keep your puppy on leash whenever he is around other dogs, so if he shows signs of repeating the behavior, you can remove him from the situation before it happens again.

Next, have you contacted a local behaviorist? There can be several factors at work, and without seeing the whole picture, a label snapped on over the internet can cause you to choose an unproductive course of action. An experienced Behavioral Consultant should be able to help you decide on a training structure that is most compatible with you and your dog.

If you need more help, please feel free to contact me, I am at pawsthenplay.com :)

Grace answered on 6/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer