How do I stop my pup from randomly attacking us?

My 5-month-old mini Aussie will be calm and sweet then suddenly go biserk. He jumps on me, bites at my hair, and barks in my face. He does the same to my boyfriend at times too. He's done this since we brought him home from time to time, but this week it's been happening every night. We've tried telling him no, ignoring him, and using his leash to make him sit still for a few minutes. Nothing sticks.

What should we do?

Asked by Member 1150577 on Jan 17th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Aussie's are working dogs. How much exercise does he get? If a dog is bored and doesn't get enough exercise, esp., if they are working dogs, they will make things up to entertain themselves. Generally, that translates to bad behavior. I would be inclined to think he needs more exercise to get rid of excess energy. I would find something for him to do like hide & seek (toys & treats), with long walks, maybe teach him a job, like agility, herding or something he can stay active with. Good Luck!

It sounds like he needs more exercise as well as mental stimulation. Try putting peanut butter, hotdogs or his favorite treat inside of a kong. Freeze the kong and give it your dog. This should stimulate him mentally for a while. Also, I would recommend you & your boyfriend establish y'allsevles as pack leaders. Taking walks, making him sit before walking through doors, waiting patiently for his food etc. Seek a professional trainer who will guide you in the right direction.

Sabi

First stop calling it attacking. Then do the research you should have done before you got him. Then get off the couch and use the leash to take him for walks. Working breeds need to do something. Exercise and training are critical, your stock herding dog is trying to get you to move!

Sabi answered on 1/18/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer