How do I stop my dog's dog aggression near our building entrance and elevator?

I adopted my 3yr. old Westie when he was 10 months old. We live in a high rise with many dogs, who all share one small elevator; there are always many dogs in the area immediately surrounding our building too.

Over the past 2 years, my dog has gone from scared to aggressive when encountering dogs on/near the elevator & within a half-block radius of the building entrance. He is not aggressive to all dogs, but mostly to dogs that are larger than him or unfixed. When on or near the elevator, I try to prevent issues by holding him, but in trying to break free to lunge at other dogs, he scratches up my arms. When leaving or approaching the building, I go out of my way to avoid other dogs, but they are often unavoidable.

After having a few close calls and getting overwhelmed by the difficulty of managing my dog, I recently began putting a muzzle on him just while on or near the elevator or close to the building. He doesn't mind it much, but it's not a long term solution. Please help.

Asked by Member 1182644 on Jul 27th 2013 Tagged dogaggression, territorial, muzzle in Aggression

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

There are a few things you can try: calming sprays, chews and pheromone diffusers before walks, control harnesses, wake him from sleep and then walk him, switch feeding schedule so that he walks after meals, take him to puppy school, and/or work with a trainer so you don't end up being evicted for an eventual bite. ^_^ Good luck!!

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/14/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer