Saydi Sue.

How do I stop my dog from peeing in the house?

I live in a house that doesn't have enough money to buy a kennel for our dog. She is 4 months old. a Golden Retriever. Also even if I did find a cheap kennel my mom would say no because she doesn't like buying online and we live in an area with no mall or pet store.
How do I get my dog to stop peeing on the floor without rubbing her nose in it?

Asked by Saydi Sue. on Aug 15th 2010 Tagged pee in Crate Training

Answers

Reyna

Start taking her outside before she pees. Every 30 minutes on the dot. Stay out there until she pees, and go crazy with treats and rewards when she does.

And look on your local craigslist. I'm sure someone locally would have a crate you could purchase IN PERSON.

And don't rub her nose in it or punish her. If a puppy has an accident, it's the OWNERS fault for not paying attention. Rubbing her nose in it only makes you look irrational.

Reyna answered on 8/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sonny

Rubbing her nose it it, or getting angry with her will only teach her to hide to pee - indoors and out.

We put a set of bells on the door to the yard and taught Pepper and Sonny to use their noses to ring the bell. The reward is a treat a trip outside and a very happy owner! Once outside, use a command like "potty". When your dog goes, say "GOOD POTTY! yeah!" give the puppy lots of little treats and pets every time the pee or poop outside.

Food can be used a lot to "trade" for good behavior. Always ignore her when she is naughty.
BTW - She is gonna be BIG. Mixed with Great Pyrenees?

Accidents will still happen if puppy is not tethered to a person while someone is home and gated or crated when no one can be around. Many stores carry gates, it may take more than one to confine puppy to a safe area. Try Walmart, Target

Sonny answered on 8/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Almost every yard sale has a crate or two in it for sale and they are usually only about $20 or $25. You can get one that fits her now instead of as an adult. And, many kennels and vets offices will rent out crates, or they are also available at walmart, Kmart, Big Lots and many, many other discount stores. Even WITH a kennel you will need to keep taking her outside about every hour. BTW... I also agree with the first poster... rubbing her nose in it will only make her smell bad and will also make her fear you! It WILL NOT teach her not to pee in the house. Raising a puppy is a full time job and you need to pay constant attention to the puppy. At four months she will need to be taken out everytime she wakes up from a nap, everytime she eats or drinks, and everytime she stops playing, even for a minute. That translates to about every hour. It can help if you keep her in the room you are in... the more free space she has the more likely she will go off into another room and pee.