♥Juneau♥

How do I stop my dog from fence fighting?

Juneau used to be dog-aggressive, but he attended training classes. Sometimes he is reactive towards other dogs while on a leash, but he still goes to the dog park every other weekend and never gets in a scrap. He has a blast. Every dog that comes into the household gets a thorough sniffing and then they're best buds.

But Juneau still fence fights with the neighbor dogs. Our whole yard is fenced and on all three sides there is a dog on the other side. A GSD, a setter, and two labs. And if they're out they'll start to bark, and Juneau's ears and tail go up. That's when I hear the other dog start to growl (The fences are wooden planks...can't see through them).

Then both dogs create this huge barking fit and they just fence fight! Its starting to get really annoying having to run out there and grab Juneau's collar and tell each dog to be quiet. Juneau doesn't show this type of aggression beyond the fence and backyard.

Any tips on to help lower the fence fighting? Thanks!

Asked by ♥Juneau♥ on Feb 10th 2008 Tagged fencefighting in Aggression

Answers

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

This is a hard one.My recomendation would be a citranella collar so you don't need to be out there 24/7 babysitting. Or you can always keep him in when the others are out.Maybe get some osrt of system going with your neighbors to work this out with all the dogs.Before introducing a new dog into the family these things should be corrected and your dog should be reliable.If you are thinking about entering a Pit into this sort of stimulation you are setting yourself up for a big fight!You have no idea what that other dog is like and before bringing it home you need to correct this issue.Have you ever thought of what will happen to Juneau if he starts fence fighting and this Pit you are talking about has had issues in the past from fence fighting?Chances are Juneau is going to get seriously hurt maybe even killed.I'm all for Pits but I also know what stimulates them and your situation is a set up for a big failure.Gotta work on Juneau 1st then think about a pup.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on 2/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Baron

Don't leave the dog outside unsupervised if you know it'll react to the other dogs.

Baron answered on 2/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dante

I swear somtimes they do this for bluff. Even dogs that are friends outside of the fence will run and bark and bite at dog if there's a fence there. It might be part of the fact that they KNOW they can't get to each other so they make a bigger fuss. However, I will say that this type of behavior heightens EVERYTHING in them and if they get all worked up like that and actually do get out, then they will fight, even if they wouldn't do so on a leash or at a dog park. I've even had dogs barking together in our yard, then run into each other, then a huge fight breaks out because they had to expel all that energy so turned it against each other. I don't live in a neighborhood anymore but I made mine come back inside when they started doing this when we did. If the neighbor's dogs aren't outside all the time, try letting him out when the dogs aren't out there. PRAISE him for walking AWAY from the fence/dogs. That worked for us when we got our goats and my dogs wouldn't leave them alone

Dante answered on 2/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer