how do i stop my dog from attacking other dogs

When i take my Min Pin to the dog park I have to keep her in her own gated area. When other dogs run up to the gate, or if some one else brings their dog in she tries to attack them if they run near her. I brought her in to an area with other dogs on the leash just to see and if them come up to her she tries to attack them. how do i get her to play with other dogs?

Asked by Member 743776 on Sep 28th 2008 Tagged aggresion, dogparks, attack, minpin in Socialization

Answers

Leila

If you brought her up as a guard dog she may be trying to protect you. Or she may just be the type of dog who doesn't like his/her own type, good luck

Leila answered on 9/28/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA,

How old is your min pin? Male? Female? Altered? What is the dog's socialization history?

Aggression towards other dogs is a serious matter. In order to treat it effectively, much more information is needed.

I recommend you find a CPDT in your area (certified pet dog trainer) or a behaviorist. They will be able to take a full behavioral evaluation, observe the behavior, and develop a modification plan accordingly.

In the meantime, the dog park is not an appropriate place for an aggressive dog, for anyone's safety.

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, answered on 10/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I too have a similar situation with my Scottie. He seems a little better off leash so I think his problem is me. I'm his and he doesn't want any other dog near me. I recently got a book called Feisty Fido by Patricia McConnell and Karen London. Has some good tips and pointers. I'm working on some of them now so we'll see!!