Close X

How do I slow my dog down while eating?

My 4 month old puppy eats her food in literally less than a minute. Is this dangerous? How can I slow her down?

Asked by Elsa on Aug 22nd 2011 in Other Food & Nutrition

Try hand feeding her, that will help slow her down. There's also a dog bowl called brake-fast that helps a dog slow down from eating.

You can also try placing the food in a Kong and rinse water over the Kong, place it in the freezer and when the food is done freezing, give to your dog.

You see this alot of time in puppies. I know people that have had good luck by putting a rock on top of the food so the dog has to move the rock around to get to the food and this slows the dog down. It may be worth a try. I hope you find something , but also , your dog may outgrow it. My last puppy has slowed down and he used to get his food down in seconds.

Seth answered on 8/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have had a few fast eaters, so have had practice slowing them down.

I used a muffin baker for adult dogs and the ceramic egg crate for puppies (picture in link below). I mix both dry and sticky, ground canned food, so that it can be plastered into each well in the feeder.
Another fun way to feed puppies and keep them busy with dry food only, is food dispensing toys. Try one of these:
Tug-A-Jug (almost impossible, noisy on hard floors, long term busy!)
Buster Cube (med to hard)
Waggle/Chuckle (hard, same toy but chuckle has noise maker inside, puppy has to repeatedly drop toy to eject food, Sonny's favorite)
Kibble Nibble (medium)
Everlasting treat ball (Easy, skip the disks and fill with kibble)
Twist and Treat (Easy)

Sonny says the Fridge doesn't count, as I had to help him get the food out from under.... BOL!!!

Pepper slowed down on her own at 11 months, Sonny never will.

Sonny answered on 8/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Titan :)

For super aggressively fast eaters take away the bowl use a cheap muffin tin for a few weeks it helps!!!

Titan :) answered on 8/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Try an elevated dog feeder that should slow her down quite a bit!
This website has a good choice of heights.

Bird answered on 12/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer