How do I make my dog shut up

When I leave the house he barks and barks and barks. I was told this by my noisy neighbors. I have stuck him in a crate but he continues to bark I have let him run free around the house and he still barks. He has separation anxiety and I don't know how to cure a dog of that.

I don't leave him for more than 4-5 hours a day (not night). He's the only pet and I have thought about getting him a buddy but I think that they would just join together and start barking together.

Can any please tell me what to do.

I hate living in an Apartment.

120 days till the house get built.

Asked by Member 747865 on Nov 2nd 2008 in Fears & Phobias

Best Answer

Sadie

I feel for you. It sounds like he is barking because he is lonely and has separation anxiety. I have donated dog food to a non profit animal rescue where I live and I was told that this is a big reason why pets are brought there along with many other reasons. It would be nice if you could borrow a dog after making sure they get along and see if your dog does better. If that were the case then you could get another companion. I think you could also talk to your vet or even try a calming medication. I know they sale some at Pet's Mart because I bought some for Sadie because she hates having her nails trimmed but it didn't do a thing so maybe getting something from your Vet or talking to him or her or even a trainer. Good Luck! I hope you find an answer and please don't give up on him. Something will work out eventually. Too many people give their dogs up when there are solutions!! I hope you find one soon!! :)

Sadie answered on Nov 2nd.

Answers

Princess

THERE ARE A FEW THINGS YOU CAN TRY. I HAVE A DOG THAT HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.

(1) I WOULD LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR 5 MINS. AND I WOULD COME BACK AND THEN I WOULD DO A LITTLE MORE TIME. THEN HE SAW I WAS COMING BACK.

(2) I LEAVE A RADIO OR TV ON FOR MY DOGS AND THAT SEEM TO HELP ALSO.

THEY SEEM TO THINK IN THEIR HEAD THAT YOU'RE NOT COMING BACK EVEN THOUGH YOU DO.

GETTING HIM A BUDDY ISN'T A BAD IDEA EITHER I HAVE ALSO DONE THAT. THEY GET BOARD AND LONELY JUST LIKE PEOPLE DO.

Princess answered on 11/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Loomis

www.wagntrain.com

Good Luck with your new house and Ein.

Loomis answered on 11/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Reese

Well, I don't know about the separation anxiety, but I do know that my neighbors got a citronella collar for their Boxer and that worked for the barking. Molly wore it for about a month or two. Now she goes without. (Just a note: I have heard that these are humane, but can't say yay or nay on the subject, just wanted to say what worked for the neighbor)!

Good luck!!

Reese answered on 11/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA,

Sticking him in a crate will not change the emotions of SA, particularly if you have not conditioned a positive emotional response to the crate. Does he actively enjoy his crate? If not, you've got work to do on that, and may want to start a new thread on crate training.

I suggest you get Patricia McConnell's booklet "I'll be home soon!" It is in the same series as Cautious Canine and Feisty Fido, and will help you understanding how to desensitize your dog to your absences. SA is very treatable, but requires work on your part.

Also, I would say the barking is separation distress. True SA usually results in injury to self or property caused by the effected dog. True SA may require the assistance of a certified behavioral professional who would be able to work with you to develop a behavior mod protocol and also confer with your vet on the advisability of medications (ClomiCalm, generally) in addition to the recommended training.

Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, answered on 11/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mink

Does your dog bark when you are around? If so, I have seen trainers squirt water at them to silence them. Once he is quiet when you are in the room, try getting him to stay with verbal and hand commands and go to another room, with the door open, for 5-10 minutes. Do this a few times for 2 days. Then do the same thing and close the door for 2 days. Go for longer and longer each time. Finally, leave the house with the same verbal and hand commands, closing the door behing you. Come back after 5 minutes, then 10, etc. Be patient!
Also, don't make a big deal about leaving or coming home. Wait a few minutes before saying hello after you walk in the door, and always greet the other humans in the house first.

Mink answered on 11/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer