How do I make my dog listen to me even when she is distracted?

My dog dosn't listen to my commands if she is outside or if she is distracted by something around her. (her ears pop up and she's gone like the wind). Thanks!!
Princess (the lovable chihuahua)

Asked by Member 653400 on Jul 14th 2008 Tagged training, tricks, distractions, princess, listening in Commands

Answers

You can turn the distractions around on her. For example, say that I'm at the dog park and that my dogs just loves to meet other dogs. He gets distracted and won't obey me by them. What do I do? I have him sit and then use him meetings other dogs are a reward. First, I would start by having him leashed and telling him to sit. If he didn't sit on command even though he knows the tricks I would push his little behind down and then use going to meet another dog as his reward. It may take a while for him to get it, but he'll figure it out eventually.
And/or, you could try to provide her with something that she likes better than what she's distracted by and reward her with that for obeying.
Hope that helps.

The Wee Beasties

My chi's don't like to listen to me, either! We're working on it though, using a tip from Victoria Stillwell. You have to make your dog think that YOU are the most wonderful thing in their environment, wherever that might be or whatever else might be going on.

We're using tasty treats to reward them for giving us their attention, coming when called, etc. Also, we only call them for something good or fun, not when they're going to getting a bath or medicine - if we need to do that, we go to them. When they're outside, we call them back to us a few times, giving treats when they come instead of only calling them when it's time to go inside. Gradually, the treats are being phased out, but the fun isn't. So far, it's working well but you do have to be consistent.

The Wee Beasties answered on 7/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

because your dog is not intellagent and maybe your a bad trainer because you said mollie was fat and im one of mollies freinds!!

Most dogs are like this. They know and perform a command 100% of the time indoors, but they do not perform the same command outdoors or under distraction.

The reason for this is that you have to proof every command and that dogs are situational learners. To a dog, "sit" next to you is a different command than "sit" in front of you, and "sit" in the kitchen with no distractions is a different command than "sit" at the crossroads with traffic going by.

When you teach any commands, you start off by teaching them in your own home without distractions. Then you move outside (with no / few distractions) and teach the same command there. Then you take the dog in an area with a lot of distractions and work on the command there.

ONLY when your dog does the command whenever you ask, and wherever you are, is she trained to follow your commands.

Use treats, clicker, leash, etc. to work on commands in other places, just like you would training a new command at home.