How do i make my 3 month German Shepherd/Pitbull mix stop biting me.

I have this 3-4 month German Shepherd/Pitbull mix He looks more like his mom the German Shepherd anyways he Loves to play bite but its getting too serious and i want him to play it i don't blame him but at least to stop biting me, I'm 16 and i don't have much to do cause i have to depend on my parents that i are far away for the moment and i'm totally against dog fighting and abuse, I do want him to be a tough dog but i only want him to stop biting me, For example just like a police German Shepherd Something like that, that's what i shoot for in him.

Asked by Member 1151569 on Jan 23rd 2013 Tagged commands in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Here is a wonderful book that you can download for free to help you train your puppy.

Before and After you get your puppy by Ian Dunbar
www.dogstardaily.com

Lexus

A good way to teach your pup to stop biting you is the "off" command. First teach him that, have treats in your closed fist hand let the pup smell and lick your hand with the treats in it, say the word "off" in a stern but not angry voice, have patients but the second your pup moves his face away from your hand praise and give treat, continue this daily till he knows it well. Now you can start using the word when he bites, when he latches on to you say "off" remember it is always good to try to have treats on you but if not simply praise, this works well and also redirect his biting to a toy, when he bites put a toy in his mouth instead of your skin and praise when he bites the toy. It will take time but he will learn if you keep at it daily.

Lexus answered on 1/23/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Good suggestions from Lexus & Obi. I use the yelp technique. As soon as he bites too hard give a loud yelp, then withdraw all attention for about 30 seconds. Then direct him to a chew toy & praise him for that.
PLEASE do NOT intentionally try to create a "tough dog." You have a powerful dog that can easily become aggressive if you do not raise & train him well. Use positive training methods & you will have a wonderful, loyal dog who will go through fire for you...without appearing tough. A good book that is fairly cheap is "The Power of Positive Dog Training," by Pat Miller.
Also research both gsds & pibbles so you know all you can about these 2 breeds.