Kujo

How do I know when play fighting is getting too rough?

Kujo is a 7 month old pom and Drake is a 9 week old chessie (chesapeake bay retriever) and they play all the time. I want them to set up their own place in the pack (Im the alpha of course) and I assume they are working on that when they are playing. But at times they seem to be getting rough, should i get concerned? As of now, Drake is 3 times the weight of Kujo. I want them to get things set before Drake gets too much bigger. I let them work it out between themselves, for the most part. It isnt often that I separate them, but i was wondering at what point should I step in? Drake, right now, is pretty gentle with Kujo (unless chicken is involved, then they both get posessive).

Asked by Kujo on Feb 19th 2010 Tagged playing, fighting, aggression, posessive, roughhousing in Puppies

Best Answer

well, without stepping stepping in...
You could make a clank in the kitchen a metal pan if that catches the attention call and then when they get to you feed them.
At least that will be an easy way of training them noise is good, and that the noise rewards them, and it will also teach them to come to the noise.
I would worry only about the older dog dominating the little dog. The bigger puppy will grow faster of course and be alot stronger soon. It might be you need to start that just to without hands on have some control over the play fighting. Play fighting is natural and good but like you said It could get out of hand.

Dieta answered on Feb 20th.

Answers

Two vey young dogs and puppies will play. But i do think because of the size difference, you will have to keep an eye on then to make sure the larger dog does not get to rough. Just let the bigger dog know that they are not allowed to be mean and to play nice. But alot of times the smaller dog may egg the bigger one into playing also. I like the idea of having somethign to make noise if things get out of hand that can .

Rupert

Hi there!

It's actually pretty easy to know when the play-fighting is getting too rough: One of the dogs will yelp, cry, or whine and will try to get away from the other. Provide crates for each each dog, so they have a safe zone away from each other.

If they are getting too rough or rambunctious, you can also give them a timeout in their crates.

It's good you're keeping an eye on them - I would crate them out of sight of each other if you are not going to be in the same room with them, or put one outside and one inside, so they don't have the chance to get too frustrated with each other.

As soon as the vet says it's time, get them both neutered so they don't develop hormonally based aggression.

Train them in the basic commands: sit, stay, down, go to your bed, etc. If they get too rambunctious, get out some yummy treats and do some training. It's fine to let them work things out, but you should also provide them with structured time. A puppy training class will help.

Rupert answered on 2/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A great book to check out is "How to Speak Dog" by Stanley Coren. It shows pictures and describes the different signs to look for when a dog is turning attack-aggressive, and not play-aggressive. It offers a lot of other tips and hints on understanding your dog and things to look for.