Brownie

How do I know if my dog has fleas?

My dog has been spending a lot of time biting and scratching herself. I tried looking through her fur (Pomeranian) and can't see anything. But I'm not sure what it is I'm supposed to be looking for.

Asked by Brownie on Jun 6th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Pull the hair at the base of the tail forward and look and feel for dark, reddish specks or gritty particles. If your dog has them, it has fleas. Talk to your vet, they have the best stuff. You may want to knock down an existing infestation with Capstar.

Aster answered on Jun 6th.

Answers

Louie

Look at her belly for red marks (flea bites) and black or dark brown specks (flea poop).

Louie answered on 6/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hello Brownie - How about you have you mom give you a DAWN bath - If you have any fleas the Dawn dish soap will kill them.
Just a time size of dawn and have mom soap you up good - leave on 2 minutes and rinse and rinse well.
Also, see here for Help with fleas and the itchies... You may just have allergies to grass and pollen - this site will help:
Natural Flea and Tic help:
en.allexperts.com
Shih Tzu dry pink itchy skin:
en.allexperts.com

I wouldn't recommend bathing a dog in Dawn. Dogs have a surprisngly sensitive pH balance to their skin and Dawn isn't compatible with that. That's why it's always best to use shampoos and conditioners that are made specifically for dogs' skin to avoid skin conditions, irritation or dryness.

It sounds like she does have fleas. The best way to determine this is to invest in a cheap flea comb at the pet supply store and run it through her coat. You can actually catch fleas with this, but more often, a few swipes might show up with "flea dirt" which is tiny hard brown flecks that indicate fleas have indeed been there.

The comb teeth are small enough that you'll be able to catch the fleas in the teeth. You will need to kill them between two hard surfaces, such as fingernails as they have hard shells.

Try Brownie on Advantage, a topical flea med that is generally well tolerated by most dogs.

Frequent vaccuuming and bed washing also helps a great deal. Good luck!

place dog in light and over white towel look under the top layer of fur in the skin area you might see fleas moving, the eggs, flea dirt and bites, sores.
Use frontline to prevent any allergies from the fleas themselves.:)

Sassy

Sassy is very sensitive to flea bites and those tips never show any fleas on her thick but short double coat. I haven't seen a flea for years and years, flea combs don't penetrate her dense coat well and it sure is difficult to look through it even though her undercoat is nearly white.

My vet put a wet white paper towel under her butt and gave her a good butt scritch. Along with dandruff and hair was ONE tiny dark speck that dissolved reddish on the wet paper. A flea had landed, bit and departed which is all it takes for susceptible dogs to react for quite a while.

Sassy answered on 6/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer