Roxy

How do I keep my dog from going under the bed?

I have a very energetic 7 month old mixed breed female dog. She's not at all trained since I'm saving money to send her to obedience school. She has learned to sit though. The problem is that she has been going under my bed and chewing on the wooden posts on the bed. I can't catch her when she's under there and she knows it. I've tried spraying anti-chew spray on the posts but that doesn't work. Help!

Asked by Roxy on May 3rd 2008 in Chewing

Answers

Lily

You need to keep her out of the bedroom, even it means leashing her to you, so you can correct her immediately. Crate her when you are not home.
I hope you mean you are saving money so the two of you can go to obedience class together. It is such a bonding experience for a dog and her owner. No one else should do it for you. Maybe for a champion hunting dog, but I don't think your cutie fits in that category.

Lily answered on 5/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You can teach her some things at home too.
www.cityofdunedin.com
You can put things under the bed so that Roxy can't get down there. Also, realize that Roxy is probably teething, so provide her with lots of chew toys to chew on. If you see her chewing on something inapropiate, distract her with an appropiate thing to chew on and reward her for chewing the right things.

I am not sure if you mean she is not potty trained and is eliminating under the bed or not trained and finds mischeif under the bed.

She is most likely teething and you should get plenty of toys for her to choose from. I reccomend three to four since my puppies always seemed to get bored after a while with one and would want to play with something else that different then the first one. My favorite is an old sock that has been knotted up since you can play tug o' war with them or they can just chew on it.

I would also suggest you find something to encase anything you don't want chewed on that you can't just remove from the room. You can find plastic tubing pretty cheap at most hardware stores and they will usually cut it for you.

Its really important that you start the base work with your puppy before obediance school. Even if it doesn't seem like its going well both of you will get more out of it by being started.