How do I keep my dog from chewing on his metal kennel...his nose is swollen! I am at my wits end with this dog!!!

My dog has a large kennel outside with a lid (he jumps 8 ft fences, but can't stay in it when I am away (he barks). SO he is has to stay in a large inside kennel. He chews it apart (we had to reinforce it with locks), but still forces his nose between the metal to the point that his nose has swollen up and he has cuts on his neck and face. He is out of control. We got him from the pound 2 months ago. He is 1 years old and a chocolate lab. I don't know what to do with him anymore. He can't be lose in the house because he chews everything. I am at my wits end with him.

Asked by Member 537809 on Nov 28th 2007 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

It sounds like he is BORED and going "stir crazy".

Are you giving him enough exercise? Without that most any energetic dog will be out of control. Excessive barking, chewing and need to escape is because he is lonely and bored. Maybe you should take him to a doggy daycare during the day.

I would also suggest doing some obedience training with a dog professional to first get him to exercise his mind, learn to be obedient and curve his bad behavior into good behavior. Then work on getting him ample amount of exercise when you are home. Just letting him out in the yard, a short walk or petting him will not be enough for a high energy dog. Like Cesar says, exercise him into a calm submissive state of mind. Then he will be happy being more relaxed.

I understand you are frustrated, but locking him away everyday for hours is miserable for a dog. You rescued him from a cage, to bring him to your house and put him back in a cage. To him it is no different and he is unhappy

Sorry but your dog sounds bored out of his mind. How much exercise does he get per day? Labs are extremely active dogs that require a lot of physical and mental stimulation. Also try leaving him with something to do... like a Kong filled with peanut butter to keep his mind occupied for a bit. If he is still hurting himself on the crate try confining him to a single room like a laundry room, bathroom, or kitchen ('dog-proofing' it beforehand of course). Good luck.

I agree with the others that your dog sounds extremely bored and distressed. Dogs don't usually engage in repetitive destructive or self-hurtful behavior without an underlying reason.

At a year old, especially with his breed being chocolate lab, your dog is still very much a puppy and has some serious energy to burn off.

Dogs like yours require at LEAST two LONG walks per day, lasting about 45 minutes (min) to an hour or two EACH. Also, they need attention and some play time in addition to those walkies in order to really be healthy in the body and the mind. Your dog could also benefit from being on a strict schedule, with a long walk before leaving him and a long one after you get back. This reinforces the idea in his mind that he's got something to look forward to later in the day when you come home, and it also leaves him tired in the morning when you leave.

Kongs with treats stuffed inside might occupy him a bit, too, and try a plastic VariKennel instead of metal.

Bruno

He might not understand that the crate is supposed to be his "safe and happy" spot. Our dog Bruno was punished by being left in his crate by his previous family, so we had to teach him to like his crate after bad experiences. You don't know what kind of things your dog has suffered before you adopted him, so you might be in the same boat. :)
Here's what we did:
First we taught Bruno to go into his crate, which we call his "sleepy spot" because we didn't know what his previous owners might have used and wanted to avoid all negative connotations. We praised him for going in, but didn't make him stay. We worked up to that as he became more comfortable. Then we shut the door and left him in for gradually longer periods of time, never longer than fifteen minutes. Then we gradually had him sleep in his crate, but would let him out if he got scared. It took a bit, but he's much happier now and laid back in the crate. Also, exercise him a lot so he sleeps while you're gone. :)

Bruno answered on 11/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Skyler

I tottaly agree with every pup here! Definetly agree about the exercise. And maybe he did have a bad kennel experience. My husky hated his kennel so what I did was to keep him in my room with the things he could destroyed put away where he couldnt reach. It worked great.....now we refer my room to his room and when its time to retire I tell him to go to his room and there he goes. Hes 20X more comfortable in my room then in a kennel. Although i do believe in crate training, just i have to manny ppl at the house for a yowling husky to start complaining.

Skyler answered on 11/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer