How do i help my dog with a little ripped toenail

we were at the beach and she was on some rocks and this it got stuck and she ripped it a little its lose but still on do we to take her to the vets? she is babying the foot as well when she walks

Asked by Member 995617 on Jul 4th 2010 in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

Poor baby! If it is bleeding then you may want to do a vet run, get them to clip it & clean it. If it is not bleeding I would try to clip it myself. You can use corn starch or white flour to staunch the bleeding. If you can put a sock on her & tape it in place it will keep the dirt out. I'm sure it hurts. This has happened to my dog before & I didn't need to go to the vet.

Petri

I agree with the other response; it if isn't too bad you probably don't need to take her to the vet unless you can't clip it yourself. If it is so loose it may need to be removed and you see swelling, definitely take her to the vet. A great product you can use on the toenail part is PETfection Nail Oil. It is 100% Organic and Non Toxic and designed to heal up cracked toe nails. It will also help block out infection. You can check it out at www.myPETfection.com, under the Body Oils section. Hope this helps!

Petri answered on 7/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer