chase

How do I get over the loss of my dog.

About 2 months ago My dog died. We had her for nearly 16 years... She was the only dog we had for nearly 16 years... And we waited nearly a month before we went out to get another dog, but it still hard, and I am still upset about her passing.. How do I get over her not being around any more?

Asked by chase on Nov 30th 2009 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

First, let me say how sorry I am. Every dog's death is a tragedy and for those of us who love them, a real grieving process.

I'm afraid it took me almost a year to start to recover from the loss of my beloved lab mix. I couldn't even look at another dog for that time. It's a long process.

Loving a dog for sixteen years is a long time. Losing her was a huge blow to you emotionally and a big loss. Give yourself time to feel better. Two months seems like nothing.

My advice....allow yourself to cry, think about her and try to focus on how one day, your happy memories of her will overshadow her death. I promise you that. Even if it doesn't seem like it now. So keep that in the back of your head when you're sad.

Hang in there!

Shiver Me Timbers

I agree wholeheartedly with Jack. Let yourself grieve. Let yourself cry. Let yourself mourn the loss of your dog. It may have been two months. But two months is nowhere in comparison to the 16 years you spent with her. You have my condolences. I had a cat I picked up off the streets. He was feral, a mess, but I fixed him up, had him for years until he passed, and it's been about four years since then, and I still tear up when I think about him. It'll be hard and you'll always miss her, but it gets easier as you learn how to cope with it and think of all the good times you shared.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 11/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

You never get over it completely, though the pain lessens and becomes less frequent over time. More than three years after losing my cat, I can still think about her and look at her pictures and cry my eyes out.
LEND A PUP

I WILL LEND YOU FOR AWHILE, A PUP, GOD SAID,

FOR YOU TO LOVE HIM WHILE HE LIVES AND MOURN FOR HIM WHEN HE'S DEAD.

MAYBE FOR TWELVE OR FOURTEEN YEARS, OR MAYBE TWO OR THREE

BUT WILL YOU, 'TIL I CALL HIM BACK, TAKE CARE OF HIM FOR ME?

HE'LL BRING HIS CHARMS TO GLADDEN YOU AND SHOULD HIS STAY BE BRIEF,

YOU'LL ALWAYS HAVE HIS MEMORIES AS SOLACE FOR YOUR GRIEF.

I CANNOT PROMISE HE WILL STAY, SINCE ALL FROM EARTH RETURN,

BUT THERE ARE LESSONS TAUGHT I WANT THIS PUP TO LEARN.

I'VE LOOKED THE WHOLE WORLD OVER IN SEARCH OF TEACHERS TRUE,

AND FROM THE FOLK THAT CROWD LIFE'S LAND, I HAVE CHOSEN YOU.

NOW WILL YOU GIVE HIM ALL YOUR LOVE, NOR THINK THE LABOR VAIN,

NOR HATE ME WHEN I COME TO TAKE MY PUPPY BACK AGAIN?

I FANCIED THAT I HEARD HIM SAY "DEAR LORD THY WILL BE DONE,"

FOR ALL THE JOYS THIS PUP WILL BRING, THE RISK OF GRIEF WE'LL RUN.

WE'LL SHELTER HIM WITH TENDERNESS, WE'LL LOVE HIM WHILE WE MAY,

AND FOR THE HAPPINESS WE'VE KNOWN, FOREVER GRATEFUL STAY.

BUT SHOULD YOU CALL HIM BACK MUCH SOONER THAN WE'VE PLANNED,

WE'LL BRAVE THE BITTER GRIEF THAT COMES AND TRY TO UNDERSTAND.

IF BY OUR LOVE WE'VE MANAGED, YOUR WISHES TO ACHIEVE

IN MEMORY OF HIM WE LOVED, TO HELP US WHILE WE GRIEVE.

WHEN OUR FAITHFUL BUNDLE DEPARTS THIS WORLD OF STRIFE,

WE'LL HAVE YET ANOTHER PUP, AND LOVE HIM ALL HIS LIFE.

AUTHOR UNKNOWN

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 KJV
To every thing there is a season,
and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones,
and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and
a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate;
a time of war, and a time of peace.

Here is a page with more poems and stories that may help to comfort you:
www.petloss.com

Don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

I am sorry for your loss.
I usually cry until I can't cry any longer and then it still is hard.
I know how you feel and your great loss.
I will send you some doggie prayers.
that is so sweet c&c, those are some really good ones.
It takes time to get over loosing a beloved pet.
I still think of the ones I lost and it still hurts but it does help to think of the good, funny and loving moments.
In time you will be able to move on some and enjoy your new dog. Your new dog Chase? He looks like a great dog. Look at that face, he is going to be a great dog to make new and happy memories with.
Also try to make a memorial at your house in the yard for your dog. Buy some flowers, plant a tree, and then make a plaque or make a letter to the dog and place it in a box and bury the box next to the memorial.
Hugs and prayers, Dieta

Ty

I also want to say i am so very sorry for your family. Some dogs you just never get over. I still miss my first show dog who has been gone almost 15 years. But i just try to think of all the happy times and the good times i had with him and try to laugh about some of the things he did. Unfortunately they dont live as long as we do. I dont dwell on the sad things , i think of the time we did nt have much money but we treated ourselfs to steaks one nite. Well when we were not looking he ate them. Think we ended up eating hot dogs that nite. I now laugh about it . Try to find times that she made you smile or something funny she did to make you laugh. Oh sure there will be times you are sad and miss them, just try not to bring yourself down all the time. Good luck to you and God Bless you.

Ty answered on 12/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

gabriel t dog

Crying over my dog at the moment. He was 14.5 years old and died in June. I will get another dog, but not just yet.

One thing that's been helpful for me ... a friend had an enormous dog who died suddenly of stomach torsion. She was wonderful and friends with my dog. My friend didn't have much money and cremation here in Germany is expensive. So I offered to pay. My friend said, "I don't need her ashes. She's with me in my heart always."

When Gabe died, I phoned him and he said ... "Chin up. Just think ... they're playing in heaven now." And it cheers me, even through my tears, to think of them playing.

Grieve, be sad ... but be happy, even though it's now over, that you experienced Chase. As long as you remember, it's something that will never go away.

gabriel t dog answered on 12/6/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am so sorry for your loss. My dog passed away yesterday suddenly and I feel like my heart is breaking in two. I can't stop crying, even as I write this. I need some help as well. She was my best friend and I wasn't with her when she passed (she was outside to potty). I was angrry with her that morning for having an accident in the house. I will never forgive myself for my harsh words I spoke to her! Has it gotten any easier yet? I am looking for some good news I guess.

I see some time has passed since you lost your pup, so I assume that you are moving forward some? I lost my pup on 2/2/08 & I still have days (like today) when I feel as if I will NEVER get over her. But, it's true~time DOES help. I too got another puppy within a month of my Hope's passing, but she has never had to live up to "replacement" because it's simply NOT POSSIBLE! She is who she is, no one can "replace" the special pet you've lost. Some people think that's what you'tr trying to do when you get another pup. For me, it was distraction from some of the grief, and just the joy of giving another companion a home. I LOVE dogs & my house is not a home without 1, 2, or even 3.
My pup I lost was only 7 months, but we bonded as close as Mother & child. I got a tattoo of her pawprint on me, from her actual print I had taken before she was cremated. I still miss her, still want her back, still cry for her often. But know I loved her as much as I could while I had her!Lend a Pup was great!

I lost my best friend last week, he was a German shepherd and just passed his 7 birthday. He died suddenly and I'm so heartbroken I'm not sure what to do. I almost forgot what grief was like. I feel empty and I hate going home. I'm sorry for your loss x x x

Hi I know you feel because my dog died yesterday night November 25th 2012 I know its been a long time since you posted this letter but its something its going its going to take a LONG time to get over it. I am sorry I am getting to emotional ......
bye

Hi everybody, My "baby" BOBBY went to doggie heaven last Friday 25th Jan 2013. I am totally devastated. He was 10 years old and blind from the age of 2 years. The blindness was not a problem at all. About a year ago he developed arthritis in his back legs, this wasn't much of a problem either as I would lift his back legs when he needed to go out to the toilet.On New Years day he got an unknown infection in his front leg. I was praying for a miracle.. it didn't happen. The vet said he would never walk again.Bone was exposed on his elbow. I slept on the sofa to be near him for his last 2 weeks as he could no longer get up the stairs to my bedroom, where he always slept. I didn't mind bathing him 3-4 times a day, changing bandages etc. He meant so so much to me. I am heartbroken. Cant stop crying. I have another dog which is 19 years old,a great comfort. Will I ever get over losing my beloved BOBBY??? I keep asking myself. did I do the right thing?? Please help!!!