Zeus

How do I get our german shepherd/coyote mix to stop stalking my Red Heeler/Boxer Mix and trying to kill her?? PLS HELP!

We have had them separated for the past 4 years (Molley is my dog the Red Heeler mix and Cricket my dad's dog the German Shepherd mix) Molley is 7 and Cricket is 14. The scary thing is that they run along the fence biting it growling and we cant stop them at all. And one day Cricket jumped the fence and started attacking Molley. Sad thing is these fights are almost to the death. Two ppl can not separate them : ( ITs gotten to the point where my mom says if Cricket goes after Molley like that one more time we will have to put her down....

Asked by Zeus on Apr 15th 2010 Tagged kill, stalking in Aggression

Answers

Hector

Sadly, you will have to separate them. If your shepherd/coyote mix has that killer instinct, he will not stop until the job is done.

You will need to supervise them at all times when you are home and they are together, and you must never never leave them alone together.

I speak from experience with this one and I have a well over $2,000.00 dollar vet bill to prove it and some pretty nasty pictures.

Pawmail me for details

Hector answered on 4/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Some dogs that are mixed with wild animals are illegal and dangerous.
A wild animal is always a wild animal.
I don't know about a wild dog and a domestic dog some states have strict laws on this.

Obviously, the coyote genes are dominate. You will always have to have them separated. Poor judgement on who ever decided to cross a wild animal with domestic. I feel bad for your dogs, one has to live in fear and the other has to live caged when 1/2 of it's genes are telling it act like a wild coyote.

Kayak

Weather it is illegal or not is irrelevant at this stage. Keeping them separated is vital. I think a visit from a behaviorist is warranted as they can see things that we can't and may better come up with a remedy you can live with. Good luck and I hope things get better for you.

Kayak answered on 4/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If your dog is indeed part coyote (which I personally highly doubt, a lot of people like to say that their dogs are mixed with wild animals), in most areas, you cannot own her unless you have the proper licenses and enclosures for her. If she attacks someone - which she probably will, she IS a wild animal - you're going to be in huge trouble.