How do I get my vet to stop pushing me to neuter my dog?

I have a 3 month old male Giant Schnauzer (Ledda) and upon taking him to the vet I was told that he'll be 4 months soon and he should be neutered. Firstly I know it's best to neuter him at one year of age not 4 months and secondly I don't want to neuter him due to moral opposition. We always but head on this (4 visits so far) and about what I choose to feed him (I feed a raw diet). How do I tell my vet to back off without fearing that every time he gives Ledda a look over he won't "accidentally" neuter him.

Asked by Member 1117011 on Jun 22nd 2012 Tagged neuter in Health & Wellness

Answers

Just tell your vet how you feel. I had the same issue when I got Stinger, I had always rescued and my vet works very closely with the rescues in our area so he kept pushing me to get her fixed. I simply told him that I was not getting her fixed and that it was my choice and he needs to respect that. I explained that I am an educated dog owner and know when a dog is in season and how to deal with an unsterilized animal.
In regards to your vet questioning a raw diet, I would explain that you did your research and know what you are doing.
Your vet needs to respect your educated decisions about your animal.

You are the paying customer. Tell him to back off. Giant breeds should NOT be neutered until they are at least 2 years old, when the growth plates have totally fused. Vets don't get much education in nutritition. It is none of his business what you feed your dog. Stand up to him, or take your business elsewhere.
And don't fret..he can not accidentally neuter him.

My opinion is that it is best not to neuter (or spay) a dog until it is at least 8 months old. I try to wait for a year, especially for males, in order for their legs to develop properly.

Your vet is suggesting what is best for your dog, however agreeing or disagreeing with him is your own choice. Dogs can be safely neutered at the age of 8 weeks.

you should stop going to that vet... or tell him that it is your dision,and watch him carefuly when he exsamins your dog. hope this helps.