How do I get my Maltipoo to stop having accidents in my house?

I have a 6 1/2 month old female spayed Maltipoo. For the past month or more, she was doing great with going out to do her business. All of a sudden, no matter how much she is outside, she will come in and I will find pee or poop afterwards. She has access to the outside almost all day long, except for the 3 days that I work. I understand that holding it for 8 hours is a long time for her to hold it while I am at work but what I HATE and don't understand is the fact that she could be out in the yard so long and then come in and do her thing. I am so stressed out over the constant clean up, the smell that doesn't seem to go away no matter how much solvent I use. She is very, very smart and when I see it, I scold her but how long after a dog goes in the house, do they actually know or remember that they did it? If I catch her right away, I grab her, take her outside and scold her. Is there any point doing that if we find it 15 minutes later? I am at my wits end. Please help!!!!

Asked by Member 844951 on Jun 30th 2009 in House Soiling

Best Answer

Katie

Please don't scold her - she will not understand, and may actually start hiding her poop where you can't see it, trying to avoid the scolding.

Nature's Miracle should get rid of the smell. Here is a link to a really helpful article about housetraining: www.k9techsupport.com

When you're home with her, keep an eye on her and take her outside as soon as you see her sniffing around for a place to go. Try tethering her to you, or keep her in the same room with you, so she can't go without you noticing. When you take her outside and put her on the ground, do NOT scold her. If she is scared, she won't finish going outside, and you won't have the opportunity to praise her when she goes outside.

As the article recommends, after she has gone where you want her to go, praise her and play her favorite game with her. Give her a treat, even! Eventually she will associate going outside with a big, happy party, and she will do it to please you! Good luck!

Katie answered on Jul 1st.

Answers

Bella

Start re-housebreaking her. She goes out every hour, or half hour is better. Go out with her and make sure she uses the bathroom. When she goes, praise her like crazy! Go outside with her, she could be going out and just sniffing. Walk with her and say "Go potty." If you catch her going in the house, say "No!" firmly, then take her outside. She will forget all about her accident about 2 minutes after she does it, so catch her and correct her immediately. Have you tried Nature's Miracle to clean up her messes? It helps get rid of the odor. Good luck.

Bella answered on 6/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

She may have a medical problem here. Before breaking out the re-housetraining stuff, have a vet check her over.

If no medical problems are found, here are some streaming videos on housetraining:
petvideo.com

Sandy (aka Thumper)

If she consistently is going in the same spot then the scent from previous times may be attracting her attention....

The best way to get rid of the smell is to cover the area in baking soda while it is dry....
give it at least an hour to absorb the odors and then vac it up

Baking soda is non toxic so you can then lightly sprinkle the area with some more baking soda and just leave it....

Another thing you may need to do is go out with her and not let her back into the house til she has done her duty....then promptly praise her for a good job....

Sandy (aka Thumper) answered on 7/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer