HOW DO I GET MY HUSKIE TO SWALLOW MEDICATION IN THE FORM OF PILLS? HE FIGHTS BACK AND BITES.

Asked by Member 554119 on Jan 4th 2008 in Medications

Best Answer

Put the pills in peanut butter, that always worked for us.

answered on Jan 17th.

Answers

I'm assuming from your post that you're currently trying to give him the pills by placing them in his mouth and making him swallow.

There are many other ways to get a dog to take one or several pills. The first method is to mix it in with his regular food. If you're only feeding once a day but need to give pills several times, try feeding several meals throughout the day instead, mixing the pills under with the food.

If that doesn't work - and some dogs smell very strongly to dogs and will be left in the bowl - try wrapping the pill in a high-value treat. A high value treat is something that your dog absolutely loves. It's even better if it has a strong odor so that it will mask the smell of the pill.

For a lot of people, pushing the pill into a piece of hot dog, lunch meat, or cheese works quite well. Peanut butter or liver treats are two more options. Pet stores also sell "pill pockets" which are edible for dogs and have a strong odor.

Sheba (RIP, Beautiful One)

I have found that Pill Pockets work wonders. Sheba gobbles them up.

www.vetmeddeals.com

Sheba (RIP, Beautiful One) answered on 1/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Once, when my dog Cookie had to take a pill (she bleonged to my grandma then), my grandma hid it in a hot dog. Cookie ate the pill without even realizing it.

Make your dog 1/2 a peanut butter sandwich...One piece of bread folded over & heavy on the peanut butter...Put the pill in the middle of it...I have found this to be virtually fail proof!

Jordan Anna  8/12/96 -10/10/09

My dogs thoroughly chew anything that's not meat ...... so to prevent them from spitting the medication out, I hide it in a piece of lunch meat. I feed her the the pill wrapped in lunch meat while at the same time holding another piece over her nose. She immediately swallows the first in anticipation of getting the second piece of meat.

works with capsules or pills.

Jordan Anna 8/12/96 -10/10/09 answered on 1/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Loki

Loki has to take a pill twice a day every day and Leah has to take one once a day. I wrap them in a piece of American cheese (just the yucky processed cheese slices) and they gulp it right down. I tear of a little bit of the cheese slice and wrap the pill in it - if I give them too big of a piece they chew it and sometimes drop the pill, so I make sure it's big enough to cover the pill but not too big. Unless your dog won't take a pill hidden in a treat, this is the best way to do it for both of you - low stress, fun time.

Loki answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Ping (Rainbow Bridge)

My guys get a spoon full of peanut butter with the pills pressed down into it. They love it and are always waiting when I call out "peanut butter time".

Ping (Rainbow Bridge) answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sir Bert♥

Bert gets his pills crushed and mixed with his food. He likes warm water in his food, and the moisture makes the pills look like crumbs. One time we fed him a piece of roast chicken with a pill in it, too.

Sir Bert♥ answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ellie

We do what Loki does it works great and they eat it right up, without any hassle.

Ellie answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sebastian

Sebastian takes his pills wrapped in a piece of cheese. He loves it!

Sebastian answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

JUSTUS~OUR BEST FRIEND '03-'12

Cream Cheese is the secret used by many vets!! That is what they told my mom to use for me & I love it. I always take my meds like a big boy. It works like a spoonful of sugar!!!!

JUSTUS~OUR BEST FRIEND '03-'12 answered on 1/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Martin

Try wrapping the pill in cheese or another food that your dog likes.

Martin answered on 1/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Casey

I've alwasys put the pills right in with their food and there has never been an issue with eating it at all.

Casey answered on 1/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

MR TIBBS

are the pills capsules or regular pill form ?
if the meds are regular pills the Pharmacy stores sell pill crushers that you can crush them up and hide them in a piece of meat or slice of bread. If it is a capsule try getting a bathroom dixie cup and put a little water in it enough that you can give him some lubrication on the back of his throat then take the capsule pop it in and hold his mouth closed while rubbing his throat. This might sound cruel but it works, we had a 3 yr old Sheperd with Lymphoma that we had to give him a lot of meds and it helped.

MR TIBBS answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

PARIS

We use all natural peanut butter, put it on your finger and hide the pill in there, they eat with no problems!!!

PARIS answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I've never found a pill Abby wouldn't swallow as long as it is wrapped up in a small piece of American cheese! Hot dog pieces are great for larger pills and slide right down. Like some of the other pups above, she'll also pounce on a "peanut butter ball".

You might check with your vet before crushing pills -- there are some instances where the pill needs to be taken whole -- but I'm sure that is exception rather than the norm. Never hurts to check, though.

Katie

Check it out, you got a lot of great advice my Mom agrees with, but here's the trick. Don't let 'em see it put in the treat or food, cover the texture and taste with something strong, and if given in daily meal make the meal 1/2 the normal amount so they're sure to eat it.

Zoey is 12 and knows all the tricks. Mom's upped her trechery by boiling water in the microwave for her tea, but using the 1/4 cup of the water and a whole canned of Pedigree (different flavor everyday) with 1 cup of dry together with her crushed pills and letting it sit 1 minute to really break down THEN calling all of the dogs (even though the rest of us are locked away from the room somewhere) to come and get it. Oh and she's using people dishes too! So far 7 days and Zoey's getting her meds without a fuss!

Now that's the trick!

Katie answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Finnigan

All of our dogs take their pills in a big glob of cream cheese. No Questions asked. I learned this from a gal who had "special needs" dogs who took meds all the time.

I will take about 1 1/2 of cream cheese, stuff the meds inside it, and give it to our dog--I don't ever put it in with food because it's simply to easy to get around it.

Finnigan answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bennie

The only way my dog will take a pill is wrapped up in a piece of cheese. He loves cheese and it works every thime. Good Luck

Bennie answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

New-Smith's Bad-Mamma-Jammer

I was told that you put the pill in the back of their throat and craddle their face in your hands and blow gently it their nose and they will swallow it. It works. Our Jammer had to take some "horse" pills and it was the only way that I could get her to swallow them.

New-Smith's Bad-Mamma-Jammer answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Emmy

My owners previously had a schnauzer, they used to put his pill in a small marshmallow.

Emmy answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Hearth

I agree with Bennie. Mommy used to put the pill in yummy people food (ground beef, cheese, lunchmeat), but I always managed to eat the food and spit out the pill. I'm really clever. So now she just opens my mouth and places the pill way back in my throat. Closes my mouth and massages my throat so it goes down.

Then she still gives me a nice treat afterward as a reward. It's a win-win.

Hearth answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

peanut butter ! just put some pb on it and let them lick it off your finger omg i have 5 that hate takeing pills and they woof that stuff down!

Apollo

I will cover the pill completely with peanut butter, stick it on my finger and let him take it. It's gone in less than 2 seconds! Cheese also works, but a few times the pill has dropped out, giving him his treat only and defeating the purpose! Peanut butter is easier because it can't escape.

Apollo answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Taco

One of the best products I've found to give a dog a pill with is liverworst. To them it smells great and, because of its consistancy, it's easy to hide a pill and the pill doesn't fall out like it does with a hotdog or cheese. I usually give my dog a couple of small "teaser" bites before giving them the one with the pill. They love taking their pills now!

Taco answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Brady (Rest in Peace Aug 02)

Well Actually mommy has to give me pills too. . Not too fun. Well sometimes you puts them in peanutbutter because that makes me swallow them because it's sticky. Also sometimes she put them in cheese or bologni or something that I like to make it easier!! Hope this helps!!! Good Luck

Woofers
brady and Laura

Brady (Rest in Peace Aug 02) answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Annie Dog Poop's an Angel now.

Hot Dogs are my answer.
I give Anniedog 4 pills 2x a day.
I buy packages of hotdogs and cut them up into small pieces ..into each piece I stick a pill and give them to Anniedog one piece at a time...she loves it feels she is getting a treat 2x a day.

I have also at times needed to give her a liquid medicine...I do this by mixing it with a little peanut butter and Anniedog just licks it up!

Good Luck

Annie Dog Poop's an Angel now. answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Satiba (In Memory)

I have to take 2 pills in the morning and 2 pills at dinner and will for the rest of my life. They tried peanut butter but I hated it. Then they tried liverwurst but I wasn't very interested in that. They were very successful using meat flavored baby food. My pills are about the size of a dime so they would drop the pill into the babyfood and scoop it out with a plastic spoon and I would take it off the spoon. Then I stopped liking the babyfood and now they use cream cheese. They have used the salmon flavored cream cheese but they also use the plain cream cheese. There are also days when I'm not going to take them no matter what they use and then they pry open my mouth and shove them in. On the other hand when I stay with other people they mix the pills into my food and I eat them with no problem which I won't do at home. Good Luck!

Satiba (In Memory) answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

The gang from dogphoria

You can try putting it in his food by crushing it up..or making him a doggie sandwhich and put it in there without crushing it.

The gang from dogphoria answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Carly Rosebud *2001-2012*

I have heard from my brother who is a dog trainer at a doggy daycare that Cheez Whiz is the one thing no dog has ever refused. We also use Pill Pockets.

Carly Rosebud *2001-2012* answered on 1/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer