sandy

how do i get my dog to stop goosing people when they come to our house?

this is emberising when some one wants to pet our dog she gooses them i need her to stop please help me she has been doing this for 3 years!

Asked by sandy on Jul 11th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I learned a great trick at a training class with Razz. It was called the "Secret Sit"
I held a treat in my hands that were held together in front of my belly. With my hands together, I would bring them up over the dogs nose causing her to sit . she would get the treat as soon as she did.
Soon she learned to sit in front of people when there hands were folded together in front of them.
And also, when she was in a sit, she was not allowed to move from that position until she made eye contact and was released. She was never told to stay, it was all a part of the sit. she also has to be sitting to get any pettings from other people.

I hope this is not too confusing! If I you have questions about any of this feel free to ask me to clarify!
Happy goosing!

Lily

It is OK to tell the dog "No". When she does something humans consider inappropriate, growl. "Naa" at her in a low voice.

Dogs greet each other by smelling areas that offend humans. That is how they identify lots of things about the other animal, so Sandy is doing what comes naturally to her. That being said, we humans feel it's rude and it's OK to tell her to stop. Make it short and not so sweet. They are dogs, not rocket scientists.

When she complies and backs off, be sure to praise her.

Lily answered on 7/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer