Darwin, CGC

How do I get my dog to stop barking at strangers or when he hears a noise outside?

My 1 year-old golden/basset mix is weary around strangers and he sometimes barks at them. He also barks when he hears people outside our apartment. I have tried teaching him to stop barking, but he is so distracted he won't listen.

I am not sure what I can do so that he doesn't bark when people approach us or when kids play outside...

I have been socializing him and have seen a significant improvement at the store or park, but he is not where I want him to be. Also, he is more prone to bark at kids than adults.

Any advice would be great.

Sidenote: He has been dealing with a double fracture in one leg since Labor Day and has not been allowed to go to the park or daycare since then so there has been a lapse in his socialization and he has recently had the all-clear from the vet so we have been slowly working him back into the social scene...

Suggestions?

Thanks so very much!

Asked by Darwin, CGC on Feb 27th 2011 Tagged barking, socialization, training in Barking

Answers

Alikazam

Exercise and training will help, happy your dog is better. Unfortunately some breeds just bark more than others. They are alerting you to others coming into your territory.its normal dog behavior. Just continue working with him and try keeping his favorite treat near and use it to get and keep his attention before the barking starts. Reward good behavior. Ignore bad.the key is to catch the bad behavior BEFORE it happens.

Alikazam answered on 2/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer