moonlight

how do i get my dog to go in her doghouse!?!

it looks like it will be a COLD winter and she won't go in her dog house!she can't come inside(don't ask why).

love,

shelby & moonlight.

Asked by moonlight on Nov 28th 2009 Tagged doghouse in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

♣Duchess♣

Well i had that same problem with Duchess, she wouldnt go in her doghouse at all. When we cleaned it out we found there was a spider and we once found a Scorpion in the blankets. See if there is anything in her doghouse, after we cleaned it out she went right in it!! See if that helps. Sometimes it could also be the smell. Dogs can sense when something harmful has come into their territory. And if you have any blankets in her doghouse then you might want to get new ones or clean out the old ones by beating them out!! If you dont have blankets then you might want to get some, and that may be part of the problem ( if you dont have blankets) She may feel unsafe and that she needs to be warm. Hope i could help you out. Good luck with your dog!!!! -Duchess

♣Duchess♣ answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kayak

A dog in heat, confined to the outside is an accidental litter just waiting to happen. I'd get her spayed as soon as you can but not while she is heat. The dog should be able to be inside with you. They are pack animals and being isolated outside is going to lead to more behavior problems. Spending a good amount of time with her, like several hours a day will reduce this. Taking on a dog is a big commitment, try and live up to it.

Kayak answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

While the above may be correct, she may not use the dog house until the weather gets worse. Back in the 70's, I built a dog house one spring, and the dog had nothing to do with it all summer. Finally, one nasty, wet fall day, I found him in the dog house.

Since then, I have learned I can solve most of the problems of the dog sleeping in the house by using a crate.

I would make room for her inside. Dogs are extremely social creatures and want to be with the family. Labs are bred to be family oriented dogs and she's going to suffering being separated from you outdoors.

Also, depending on where you live, it's not advisable to keep her outside at night, even in a dog house. It's just not safe for her out there in the cold, especially when she's in heat. She will be attracting a lot of dogs from your neighborhood.

My advice would be to keep her active and occupied during the day so that she doesn't get into trouble. Then, have her spayed. You don't need the hassle or health risks that come with unplanned doggie pregnancy.

And bring her in. There's no reason in the world she can't be inside with you. If she's not housetrained, you can housetrain her. If she's boisterous, you can work with her to be calm. But she really, truly needs to be an indoor dog.

She looks like she's inside in your profile picture? That looks like a nice comfy place to sleep.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Molly! Sit-Stay! No need to be so rude! Namecalling is not in the dogster spirit! How will someone learn if not by asking questions. If you do not want to answer helpfully then do not answer at all!