Precious

How do I get my dog to come when called?

My shih-tzu dosen't come when called to often. If she is in the yard, and I call her to come to me, she just stares at me. How do I get her to come when I call?

Asked by Precious on Oct 3rd 2011 Tagged training in Commands

Answers

Jasmine

That's not uncommon for the breed it's kind of their nature. You can offer reward when she comes. Practice with another person calling her and then giving her a treat. Keep treats on you so she gets one when you do call her and she listens. Consistency of reward is important otherwise you will have inconsistent results. Good luck.

Jasmine answered on 10/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sonny

Try using the really realiable recall method, as in this article.

www.positivedogs.com

Always use a reward! This can save your dogs life someday and is the most important command to teach.

Sonny answered on 10/3/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

food. biggest tool to use. use soft human grade food. always use a tether or long line to teach recalls. never scold a dog in recall training or punishing, it creates a bad taste for dog in his viewing of you as a teacher. stay calm through recall training. it takes time. I think if you go to www.caninetrainingsystems.com they will have videos. A safe and reliable recall is best. and books are where you start. The leash is the best tool for anyone. and remember even the best trainer or best training can fall apart at any time. our dogs do act out of natural instincts such as prey drive and being doggie friendly or the opposite. But the recall work is so worth trying to keep pets safe. good luck.
also check out some other sites for books or videos www.workingdogs.com
www.rayallen.com