How do I get my black lab mix to stop chewing up my wooden stairs and other wooden furniture?

I have this black lab mix that wont stop chewing on anything that is wooden. Why does he do this? How can I stop it? I tell him no and spray him with water but he just doesnt listen. He also jumps up and bites me for no reason at all. I'll just be walking in the house and all of a sudden out of no where he either pulls at my shirt or gives me a bite on my side. He also just starting digging holes in the back yard. I just got him fixed today in hopes he will stop this behavior.

While I am asking all this about him, let me ask you all something about my chihuahua as well. My chihuahua Pepe for the last 3 yrs has been barking alot for every sound and etc. I have tried everything to get him to stop barking but nothing has worked yet. I have tried all the collars for barking and etc. Any other ideas?

Help please!

Asked by Member 292483 on Jan 25th 2008 Tagged digging, biting, barking, chewing in Chewing

Best Answer

All of these problems sound like they are cause by a serious lack of exercise. Dogs need at least 45 minutes of very active, cardio activity 5 times a week to stay healthy, trim, and well-behaved.

If a dog isn't getting enough exercise, it will often get frustrated and bored- therefore chewing on things, barking excessively (pent up energy), and biting humans (often a way they try to get you to play with them).

So I'd up the exercise. Play more fetch and go for long, brisk walks in the morning. In the summer months when it's warm, take him out to go swimming in a safe lake where dogs are allowed. Retrieving and swimming are both very natural activities for a Labrador- he will enjoy every minute of it and it will get his heart pumping!!

When you leave home, offer him plenty of OTHER things to chew. Chewing wood can splinter and cause internal damage. Some good chews for Labs are Kongs, Nylabones, and certain rope toys. Replace his toys every week to prevent unsafe damage.

answered on Jan 25th.

Answers

Leon

Let me explain the duty of a Chihuahua...we are watch dogs and it is our job to alert our mommies of anything and anyone within a one mile radius of our location.

That said...it takes a little persistence to convince us not to bark at everything because it's in our genes. Mommies uses various techniques to achieve this.

If we are out on a walk, she will turn away from what I'm barking at until I stop barking. Then she will walk towards it until I bark...turning away until I stop....eventually we get closer and closer and soon I got the idea to not bark.

Inside, if I barked out the window, she would make me get off the couch so I couldn't see out the window. If I jumped back up there, she would allow me to stay...but only if I didn't bark. If I barked once, it was off the couch! If I barked out the door, she would get between me and the door so I couldn't see out anymore, until I was quiet.

It took some persistence, but I don't bark nearly as much anymore.

Leon answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

~Emma~ RL1

Krazee- You might try having your Mom start with NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free). Also what is your Mom giving/asking you to do instead? If you have an approved toy/ approved activity that may cut down on your destructive behavior. Does your pawrents kennel when they can not be there to supervise you? You may look into clicker training, or other positive approaches to training. (shame-less plug) You might look into a group called Behavior Problems. They have all kinds of pups that may have more suggestions to bark at yah! Good Luck
oops almost forgot the chi. Again you might try positive approaches. Em has problems with this too. Right now I am using distraction- meaning I give her an activity when I know a barking sit. is developing. Praising her when she "performs" the action. Also I let her bark 3 times, praise then distract. I mean I do like having the bark (I'm single) so I don't want to completely get rid of the noise. Almost out of room, Good Luck.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer