how do I get my 11mnoth old terrier to stop being affraid of the leash?

Asked by Member 1129245 on Sep 4th 2012 Tagged scared, hides, spins, runsaway in Leash Walking

Answers

Is there a reason he/she is afraid of the leash. Bad experience? Is he/she a rescue? You can try by making it a fun thing or a good thing. Try sitting on the floor with it on your lap with some really yummy treats, something he/she would die for. Maybe then stretch it on your lap and do the same thing gradually getting it closer to him/her. Once he/she comes over can try scratching him/her with the leash in a really itchy spot. You have to go really slow. You don't want to scare him/her and lose the trust. I had a horse once that someone beat with the riding crop/whip. She was terrified of it. I showed her that it was really good for itching her favorite itchy spot. After a while, she wasn't afraid of it anymore. If you go slow and careful with him/her showing him/her the leash in a non-threatening way, then he/she will view it as a good thing, esp. if it's followed by lots of treats and belly rubs. Good Luck with him/her.