Bobbie

How do I feed my dog a healthy diet on a budget?

So my boyfriend and I have been feeding our 7 month old lab mix Blue Buffalo dry kibble. Unfortunately, it's gotten a bit too expensive to feed it to him, so we're looking for a cheaper alternative. But we also know we don't want to skimp on quality, either. We're willing to try out raw alternatives or homemade recipes too.

Anyone have a dry kibble that is healthy or recipes that won't have us spending up to or over 100 dollars a month on dog food?

Asked by Bobbie on Jun 1st 2012 Tagged recipes, budget, kibble in Pet Food

Answers

Bobbie..you will find a ton of info on the main forums board. Right now, with all the recalls, I would be reluctant to give you a suggestion..lest it be on the list. There are a few threads about less expensive, good kibbles in the Food Forum. Lots of balanced recipes in the Homemade Diet Forum. The folks on the Raw Diet Forum are very knowledgable & can dialogue with you to help you out.
If you do stick with kibble, go for a Large Breed Puppy formula, not an adult formula. And do the transition slowly to avoid tummy upset.

Wiley's answer is great. Some more I'd like to add (but DO check out the forums too!)
1. It's somewhat difficult to concoct a balanced homemade diet that's cheaper than kibble unless you have access to really cheap meat, so if that's the route you want to take, get a chest freezer and look into bulk/wholesale sources. dogaware.com has some of the best info for those embarking on homemade diets for dogs, both raw and cooked.
2. I would check out www.dogfoodproject.com and www.dogfoodadvisor.com for info about choosing a kibble, and what actually makes a decent food. Then that frees you to go to your feed store/pet store, and browse the choices in your price range, and see what's a better value for the money. I agree, BB is quite expensive for being a mid-quality food. You can definitely find cheaper stuff that is as good.

Good luck, I hope you can find a way to save money without scrimping on quality for your furry friend!

Bentley

Some of the dogs foods I've tried, were Eukanuba, Wellness, Blue, Ultra,Wilderness also Instinct. I wouldn't use instinct unless you have a really active dog, it's a high protein dog food. The best foods i was told the three first ingredients should be meats, don't get corn or fillers, these foods are holistic and my dogs have loved them all.

Bentley answered on 6/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tiara

Nutro Max is an all natural food just like blue, with no by- products or corn. And it is cheaper then blue also. It is a pretty good food for the price.

Tiara answered on 6/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Merrick is a great food to feed, learn more about Merrick at www.merrickpetcare.com

Merrick has a selection of grain free dog foods. This is a plus for any dog because dog's don't need grains in their diets.

Merrick is one of the best dog foods that you can feed to your dog. There's many different formulas to choose from which makes it easy to choose the perfect one to feed to your dog.