Blitzen

How different are husky coats in winter and summer?

I adopted my husky mix in December. He lived the first year of his life in the arctic before making the move to Toronto. In March he began blowing his undercoat rather dramatically. He stopped shedding after about 8 weeks and seems to have evened out his new coat. What's really amazing is how much thinner his summer coat is. Some other dog owners actually believe he isn't the same dog. It's at least half as thin as it was in winter. Can I expect him to fill out again in the fall?

Asked by Blitzen on May 13th 2013 in Grooming

Answers

Yes, but it will be a little thinner due to the climate. I live in Florida where I have actually had a woman come up to me to buy a coat for her husky down here because she thought he might be cold at 60F. If you feed a good food like Natural Choice lamb & rice it will help with coat quality overall. Huskies are notorious shedders and cleaning up that undercoat takes a hefty vacuum! Don't let anyone convince you to shave him either... the coat keeps them warm and cool, depending on the season. ^_^