how can i train my pit bull not to bite people that are coming into my house?

i am going to be having a baby in 3 mo. and i am searching for an answer on how to get my pit bull to stop biting people. the only option my husband feels that we have at this point is to have him put to sleep because he does not want to take the risk of him biting our newborn. i just want to find a way to train him to not be aggressive so that i can keep my dog with the new baby. please help!!

Asked by Member 744326 on Sep 29th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Answers

thor

wow, sorry to hear your having such a problem. has he ever bitten anyone before, or is it just that he is super aggresive, our saint bernard is very aggresive towards strangers, but would never hurt any of us, i do keep her gated in a seperate part of the house to avoid contact with anyone who comes in, i was told that because we didnt socialize her much as a pup, that is why she is aggressive, have you talked to any trainers? it may seem hopeless at this point, but i am sure you can work it out with some training help, i would look into trainers in your area, and if all else fails at least try to find someone to adopt him out to that is willing to work with his aggression problems. good luck to you.

thor answered on 9/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You need the help of a professional who uses nonviolent methods. Try to look one up. Good luck!

Does your Pit get any exercise? Does he get daily walks and play time? If not, then this is only feeding his aggression, and is the reason that you are having a difficult time stopping the behavior. In order to stop aggression, you need to be able to control your dog's brain. In order to do that, you need to make sure that he isn't wired with energy so that you CAN control him when you need to. Begin by keeping him on a leash in your home. This will allow you and your husband to control him in a place that he has deemed HIS. Begin with simple things - asking him to 'sit' for food, making him lay down, just asking general things of him to where you can reward him in a positive way. When you feel that you are gaining control of him, bring someone to your home. I will recommend, obviously, that your husband is the one handling him as you are so far along in your pregnancy, but have your husband keep him on a leash. What does he do when he hears someone there? Does he bark and try to lunge? WHENEVER he attempts to do something wrong, pull firmly on the leash and tell him 'no'. Make him lay down until he calms down. If he gets up and tries again, make him lay down again. Laying down forces his brain to submit to the activity, and allows you to have control over him. Sitting is okay, but sometimes can create a lunging effect in dogs, especially when they are in a high state of anxiety. Make him calm down before you open the door. If he tries to lunge at the person, pull again and make him lay down. Repetition is key here because that is the only thing that is going to change his ways. My words are limited here - please message me if you need more help or have more questions - I would be happy to help you.