The Lovely Miss Silvia(AKC)

How can I tell if my dog has potential?

She is really good at agility but I want to know if you think she would do good in a trial. There is a vid of her on her page. I had just set up this course the day that this was filmed. The vid is called: Agility Update!. Thanks for any and all answers!

Asked by The Lovely Miss Silvia(AKC) on Jul 14th 2010 Tagged does, my, dog, have, potential, for, an, agility, trial in Agility & Sports

Answers

Buckeye

Its not about how good the dog does in the trial, its about how much fun they would have doing agililty. Of course, it would be great if they would do very well, but think about if Silvia would have fun during a trial. However, to answer your question, I think Silvia would do good. Just keep practicing and start off slowly in a beginner's agililty trial if you have the option to do so. If Silvia does not enjoy it, take a break from it. Keep practicing in your own yard, then you can try again.

Please Paw mail me if you have any more questions.

Buckeye answered on 7/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If she enjoys it and it is fun for her attend some agility classes and some rallys. Trials tend to be really hard and need lots of practice.
I would watch a few first to see what all they do.
Maybe you could get involved in a regular dog agility club that would be awesome.
I would start off with very low jumps, above, she is so right. I can tell you first handed that dogs can get pulled muscles and tendions from jumping too much or too high.
Make sure the grass is not wet and the surface is solid and dry. Loose gravel can also cause self injuries if they slip and loose their footing.
Have fun and good luck , I love dog sports too.

Bennie

I watched your video, I would certainly give her a try, contact your local kennel club, they can steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

Bennie answered on 7/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Jersey

I watched the video and I think she'd be good in a trial. I think you should practise your weaving first though. Remember never give up on your dog, of course she has the potenial, you should belive in her.

Jersey answered on 8/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer