How can I socialize a 7 mo old puppy, when she wasn't ever handled until I rescued her at 9 weeks of age?

Ayla is a Great Pyrenees. She wasn't at a puppy mill, but was in a tiny, dirt-filled shack with her siblings. She had never been handled by the breeder. When I rescued her, she was extremely unsocial. It has taken a lot to be able to pet her, but she still will not come to me, wag her tail and bolts when I come up to her. Potty training has been difficult. I would like any pointers on making her more loving/comfortable. She lets me pet her but seems depressed? Please help!

Asked by Member 1158708 on Mar 9th 2013 in Socialization

Answers

Jax was 4 months old in a similar situation when I got her. I did a lot of reading. Start with the book "The Cautious Canine". It's a thin book but it has tons of tips. You can sit in a small room with her and read a book and have tons of yummy treats (something she would die for) with you. Don't make eye contact and don't try to pet her just ignore her. Put the treats where she can reach them, if she wants them. That could be a start. You can also post this on the behavior forum on this site. There are more people to help and give advice. Everyone can also answer back and forth there which we can't do here. Good Luck!