how can i keep my blind dog from falling in our inground pool?

Asked by Member 1109057 on May 3rd 2012 in Other Behavior & Training

If you do not have a small fence around it already, I would suggest you get one. Also, anytime you dog goes outside, make sure he is with somebody. Or at least make sure you watch him closely. It also best, if you can, to take blind dogs outside on a leash. I hope I have helped you!

Frasier answered on 5/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

I agree that we never let out blind animal out without someone watching them. Maybe make a small fenced off area away from the pool just for the dog

Are you kidding? This is a new pool right?
Your dog, blind as he may be, can smell the pool. And the path he likes to follow in the yard, etc, etc.

If your dog likes the water, you will have to keep him leashed or on the other side of a fence. If he doesn't like the water, he will avoid it once he knows what it is.

Snickers has progressive retinal atrophy and can't see in the dark anymore at all, but he can see a little during the day. Despite being blind at night, he runs around our wooded, rambling back yard without any problems. Not only does he know the yard well, he can smell his way around as well as we can see our way.

Your dog will be fine. Show him around and then watch to make sure he is getting around okay

Put a fence around the pool and never leave your blind dog unsupervised outside alone.