how can i help stop my dog from biting herself

my golden retriever keeps biting herself until she bleeds. she does it on her tail and her side of her body. we put a cone on her for 7 months and once the hair grows back she gets it off and does it again. she was on medication to help her sleep that helped but not for long.

Asked by Member 1139601 on Nov 7th 2012 Tagged alergies, biting, chewing, growling in Allergies

Answers

Drake

what kind of diet is she on? If shes on a lower quality food she could be allergic. Try a grain free or fish based food.

Drake answered on 11/7/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Petri

Retrievers can have severe allergies. Does this happen year round or just seasonally? If year round, it is probably something in her food she is allergic to. If only seasonally, you can give her benadryl and/or use a topical spray and hypoallergenic shampoo on her. I personally love PETfection Deodorizer/Allergy Spray. It is 100% Organic, Non Toxic, and is amazing at helping with itchy spots/dry skin/bumps/etc. I use it for everything! You can spray it all over her body and any area that is red or irritated from scratching or is dry and flaky. I find it to work really well! They do make a great shampoo too. I hope this helps.

Petri answered on 11/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer