How can I help my older gain weight?

She is 13 1/2 years old, eats well, drinks plenty and her poops are good. She's an Australian Shepherd mix.

Asked by Member 905853 on Oct 28th 2009 Tagged weightloss in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Sassy

Wow, lots of good advice!

Once she is checked out by the vet, include xrays, blood and urine tests, you can work on the weight issue. If she is developing a chronic illness you might need to work with a special diet.

Older dogs do lose muscle mass and need higher levels of protein than adult dogs. It would be super easy to add some quality protein like an egg or sardines or hamburger patty to her regular food on a daily basis or perhaps switch to a higher protein senior kibble like Orijen Senior. More exercise is needed to go along with the added protein.

Sassy wasn't gaining weight when I simply increased her food, it just got pooped out. I switched to 3 meals a day and she gained some of the weight the vet wanted on her. He still thinks she is skinny but she isn't a lab as much as she looks like one! I cannot see her backbone or hip bone and her ribs are quite well covered.

Sassy answered on Oct 28th.

Answers

An older dog that is losing weight needs to see a vet. It sounds like it has developed a medical problem. diagnosed and treated, it could bring back her appetite and give you some more good years.

Not eating is only a symptom. Even if you tempt her to eat with rich food, it won't cure the real problem, and may create new ones from an unbalanced diet.

Chicken liver will help her gain weight. Older dogs need to be slim.

providing that she is healthy there are some good foods out there.
Also inspect her teeth. Sometimes when they get older they are not chewing their food. This makes them swallow the food. The food doesn't get digested very well.
You can buy a higher calorie food like Solid Gold barking at the moon.
Also if her teeth are bad and it hurts to chew you can feed Innova puppy in a can. It has a red label.It has carrot and potato in it, along with meat of course.

Sailor

I think more info is needed to the question. Has the vet told you your dog needs to gain weight? She may very well be in the weight goal range. Is your dog rapidly losing? If so you need to bring her to the vet ASAP. You say she is eating, drinking & eliminating well. Are you feeding the proper amounts consistently? I agree she may have a problem with her teeth. Inspect her teeth. It is normal for your dogs weight to go up & down slightly, not significantly. Take your dog to the vet & they will have a record of her last weight to compare.

Sailor answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My 14vyear old has lost weight also but checked out fine with the vet. He eats all his food, i even give him extra. But he has always been a thin dog. I would have vet check and then dont worry about it if she passes.

Chocolate

I would try putting her on a fodo with slightly higher protein. Like Wellness CORE original

Chocolate answered on 10/28/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Older animals tend to loose muscle mass which make them look smaller.